Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cat 650 Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cat 650 Brake Problem

Dear Artic Cat 650 riders,

I am requesting that any of you who have had brake problems with your Artic Cat 650 please respond to this posting and briefly describe your problem with the brakes and what it took to repair the brakes. My problem first started when I would be driving down the road and attempt to apply the brakes and every once in a while, my brakes were gone. I did not have either front or rear brakes. However, they would return in a minute or two. This happened several times until one day my brakes gave out. It was dianosed as a defective rear master cylinder which was replaced. I was called and told my cat was ready so a couple of days later I went down to the dealer to pick up my ATV and found that the rear brake was not working again. The next day another person came in with a brand new 650 with only 30 miles and the exact same thing happened to him. No front or rear brakes. I am convinced that Artic Cat has a problem with their brakes and are failing to due a recall to save money. Just like this limp mode problem that they are taking so long to acknowledge. By getting your responses together, we should all be able to use them to bring the problem to all of our dealers attention and get the needed repairs done. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Cat650

Old 07-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

my friend just bought an 04' 500 4x4 auto. and has experienced the same problem. He took it in to get fixed and they said it was the rear calipers.

I will reply back later on how it worked.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Arctic Cat will do a recall as soon as possible if there's a problem, they don't want people suing them because of a brake failure. They did this a few years ago with ball joints I think. They're usually right on top of this stuff, they don't want to hear from your lawyer. I would make them aware of it, as they may not think there's a problem. Least they can do is look into it, as I'm sure they will

Old 07-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

hey cat did you try to bleed your brakes after they put the new rear master cylinder in? there might be air pockets in it or just check your brake fluid but with my 650 if i am pounding it through the mud sometimes i grab the brake and there is nothing there then i just grab it again and there is full brakes for some reason my 500 did that to so i am always cautioius of it when i am bouncing around hard on trails or in the field and stuff but it could be an issue but never had them actually fail where they didn't come back with the next pump and they never ever done that on the road but if they did i would be prepared for it and it would be going into the shop

Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased my 650 artic cat 4x4 2004 brand new from the dealer he told me the day I brought it that the rear brake doesn't work he said he didn't know why but all of the 2004 had a brake problem. My rear brake hasn't worked since I brought it I had them fix it once but it went right back out also sometime when I press on the front brake there isn't any you have to pump it than you have brakes.