Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Ya'll are scarin me about 650 probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ya'll are scarin me about 650 probs

Howdy,
I'm new here, & just put down a grand on a 2004 650 today, will payoff the rest this Friday & pick up the bike. But after reading all the posts concerning the limp mode problems I am now beginning to wonder what the heck I'm getting myself into. I've been riding a friends AC 400 which is like a tank, so I figured if a 400 is good, a 650 should be even better. So, any words of encouragement upon my pending purchase? Would ya'll still have purchased the 650 if you had known about the limp mode problem? Or is this merely a minor problem thats indicative of all atvs & can be worked out with a relatively inexpensive patch?

Old 07-27-2004, 10:59 PM
ng
Trailblazer

I knew about the limp mode problems and sold my Rincon to buy the 650 AC, I only have 25 miles on it but I'm very happy with my choice.If you read all the other forums you'll see they all have problems it's enough too keep ya from getting any of them if you think about it to much.Good luck with your choice.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

got 400 miles on my ac 650 and only 2 limp modes in the first 100 miles, nothing since
keep the belt tight and no pulling in reverse and use low range
and i have had no problems since i replaced the belt

Old 07-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

everyone is probably sick of hearing me say this but get a dynatek cdi takes care of limp mode, override in reverse, runs cooler, and more horsepower. I put a black dahlton spring i think it is in my secondary clutch and took out the smaller shim to tighten the belt up and well 1020 miles on it without a problem other then limp mode, but not anymore. I took it out mud running last weekend and the only thing i could complain about when i kicked everyone's butts in the mud was that it has to much power for my 27 inch tires i would crack it down and i kept hanging wheelies then i would hit the other side of lthe mud pit and launch it into the next one the dynatek cdi is about 245 dollars but after spending about 7000, 245 is relatively cheep to not have to worry bout something plus gain horsepower if you are any red blooded american who loves horsepower you will love this machine

Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I havn't had a single problem with mine. Make sure to have the belt tightened after the first 100 miles or so. Internet forums are not a good place to get an accurate picture of problems.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dear Kalten,

Do not panic! I know that you have heard alot but there is really nothing to worry about. First, make sure that your dealer includes the reset device that is now out. The instructions are in with the device and after doing it a time or two it will only take a minute for you to reset the limp mode. Secondly, Arctic Cat knows what is causing the problem. The CDI is picking up an electrical spike that is causing the limp mode. Arctic Cat is currently producing the unit that will fix the problem, but will not release them until enough are made to send to all dealerships. Lastly, I have been riding ATV's for years and I can tell you that the 650 is fast, has lost of pulling power, and is extremely stable while traveling across hillsides. I have 500 miles on my 650 and it has only gone into the limp mode once. I hope this has helped you. Cat 650.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too believe you should not worry about the Limp-mode. After 50 miles I had my 1st limp-mode, 325 miles I had my 2nd Limp-mode & it was nothing to get it corrected & back on the trail. The Cat Dealers should be getting the RF filter soon to correct the limp-mode for good & this will save you $250 bucks by not buying an Aftermarket high-performance CDI.
I'm selling My Cat 650LE for other reasons, not the limp-mode issue. I have found this Cat 650 to be a excellent rock crawler but for my needs, I need something aimed at more sportiness but still a 4x4 w/IRS & the VTwin motor.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your imput. Ya'll have quelled my fears to a degree. I'll continue with the purchase. It's a new bike for $6300 which I consider to be a good deal, one difficult to pass up. They have an 05 in, but at $7300 thats a bit rich for me atm, plus I want to see some testing on that new engine before I drop 7k on it. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

300 miles and no limp mode problem. Two things I would advise : 1. Have the dealer check the belt adjustment before you take delivery. I insisted that mine be checked before I picked it up new and they found the belt to be way off ( loose ) 2. As soon as you can afford it, replace the stock tires. Huge difference. As was mentioned earlier, use low range as much as possible. Enjoy your new toy !! Great quad.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i used to owned the 500I, i trade it in for the 650 back in april. I have 2000+ miles on it and over 100 hours, i never got a problem with the limb mode. I replaced 3 boot but it what my fault. My dealer gave me the reset plug when i bought my bike, i reset the CDI went it reached 97 hours(in my garage in 2 minutes) and now it should be good for another 100 hour. The bike is great.

Quick Reply: Ya'll are scarin me about 650 probs