Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 650 garbage

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 650 garbage

Purchased my 650 in feb 04 fried 5 FIVE belts installed epi clutch kit has been in the shop 7 times in the shop as i post ths belt, oil leak, over heating (rad. is clean), blown front diff. nothing but problems since new (251mile).
also own a 02 450 4x4 honda foreman mann. 02 350 4x4 rancher both with 3960 mud miles normal reairs bearings, seals, brake shoes.
The 650 is nothing but problems if you dont have problems with yours you dont ride .
trying to get AC to take the bike back if not will sue wont join in a class action please reply. this post is just the tip of the iceberg that AC is having they dont seem th wont to step up to the plate [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default AC 650 garbage

MEATHEAD1......u must havea lemon.....as i have ovewr 600 miles on my 650 and not more than an hours problems...and i ride......in mud water sand ...........bush u name it and we ride in it......i have had mine in shop fora broken hub on rear right ..it wasthe caliper mount that broke off.........not sur how it broke.......just a small oroblemmmmit was fixed on warnity....also i blewa belt...............at about 500 mile.....well i smoked it about 6 times .so whoes fault....not ..the bikes......but MINE...........I CAUSED THE PROBLEM.....SO DONT BLAME THE BIKE...........AND IF U THINK I DONT RIDE HARD.WELL ASK ..MY BUDDY ..YORT.....HE KNOWS ME AND I DON'T BABY MY BIKE......maybe u should talk to your dealer maybe u can geta new bike from cat......they have had some that they replaced.........good luck.......alos only had limp mode once.........havea good ride and be safe guys and gals......Rod

Old 08-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Range Rover
Default AC 650 garbage

Boo Hoo
Maybe Meathead should get into a hobby he can handle.
Who installed the clutch kit?
Did you blow the 5 belts before or after?

Old 08-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AC 650 garbage

Might need another Honda

Old 08-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Range Rover
Default AC 650 garbage

Come on Andy, are you indicating the anti backshifting Hondamatic is a better tranny?
The only reason it has a better reputation is because the average guy can't get inside and change things.
The easy access of the belt drive system allows the mechanically challenged to get inside and adjust for their needs. When things go wrong they get on these forums and whine instead of trying to learn something about how the system works.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default AC 650 garbage

I have almost 700 hard miles on my 650 and my belt has not even made a small chirp, Limp mode only twice. Clutch cover has never been off, BONE STOCK!! I have taken mine in mud and water up to the spark plugs, Rock crawling up very steep canyons on the Piute Trail in Central Utah and I have had it up to 64 mph. I had to drive into an old Beaver pond to pull out a friend's Honda 450 Foreman ES with 26" or 27" mud tires. He got half way across and lost his momentum(spelling?). When he let off the throttle to back up, it died and filled the top of the motor with water that had ran down the exhuast pipe. I drove my 650 up to him and turned around, hooked on to him and drug his sorry azz back up on dry land so we could drain the water out of his motor. The only problems I have had with mine is the front diff. was leaking a little oil out of the electrical solenoid for the 4x4 and one of the gaskets on the top of one of the carbs, underneath the air cleaner had a crease in it, which was letting in some dust. Luckily I found the gasket after the second ride. Dealer repaired both items under warrenty and called the factory to report the air leak, Factory had the dealer perform a compression and "Leak Down Test" to insure there was no damage to motor. Luckily the dealer could find no damage. Arctic Cat said that they have documented the problem, and if I ever have any engine failures they will cover to repair for free for the life of the machine no matter how many miles or years. Sounds like you have a chitty dealer if he cannot repair and stand behind your problems. I also have a 98 500 with 4000 hard miles with only the basic wear-out problems that you have had on your Hondas. My family has a total of 12 Arctic Cat ATV's, and all are very satisfied with their Cats. Good luck with your law suit and even more luck, selling that lemon you purchased. Let us know how you like your new Rincon that you will buy.

Sincerely
Extremely satisfied and loyal Arctic Cat owner.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default AC 650 garbage

I'm a hard core Yamaha guy and I haven't heard of any quad having that much trouble. I think I would take the quad to a technician that knows how to diagnose and fix the belt problem the first time.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default AC 650 garbage

been riding for 30 years can handle the hobbie you should read the many others that have had problems with there 650s bring your bike here will tow you home rode hatfields, telico , davenport, the mud there inothing compared to s. fl. and la. if you wernt sarcastic you probly wouldnt have much to say if anything at all!

Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default AC 650 garbage

Sorry to hear you are having trouble and another person is making light of it. There are few things more frustrating than spending that kind of money on something so exciting only to have it become a hangar queen. I hope you get it sorted out. I've had no trouble with mine at all, but I can't say I'd blame you if you ditched Cat for another make after that kind of experience. You might have a reputable Kawasaki shop look at your setup. My dealer is also a Kawasaki dealer, and they told me that Kawasaki techs know how to set it up properly. He said many of the troubles are from dealers who simply set them up wrong. I think he is right because he sells a lot of Prairies and 650 Cats and I never see them in his shop.

Old Crow, if my machines kept failing me like that, I probably couldn't handle the hobby. This hobby is supposed to be fun and I do it as a stress-reliever. I get enough stress from my career. None of us needs our hobby to become a source of major irritation.

Old 08-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Range Rover
Default AC 650 garbage

shoulda bought a honda rincon. sure it doesnt have the power or locking front diff of the cat but at least theres no belts to burn out or calipers to brake off.

Quick Reply: AC 650 garbage