Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2000, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the responses. It's nice to hear what others have to say about certain issues at times. It was interesting to see Boner say he wasn't hard enough, makes you look at if from a different point of view. I also thought it was a 493 cc machine, not the 499 that was stated in the beginning. I think I remember more towards the middle, they referred to it as a 493 so who knows what's up.

One question for Boner though-are you still having vibration problems? I have not had anything like you describe happen with my 'Cat. My dad has rolled his, and he doesn't have any vibration either. Granted, I've only got about 450 miles on them now, so maybe they will come in time, but has yours always had that problem?

Take care

Mike

Old 08-19-2000, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

ATV_MAN

The honda 300 on my site??? Well on;y locker made for Hondas that I know of is a locker that is not disengageble.

Cowboy

The vibration is VERY VERY hard to notice, but when you put 2500 miles per year on your bike you start to notice these things.

I noticed the vibration before the rerend went out, so that might have been the problem. I will have to try and see if it still vibrates now, who knows, might be that the floorborads are lose.

Old 08-19-2000, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

The reason I would like for the Review to be alittle harder on Arctic Cat is so they don't get big headed and leave this model like it is for too long.

How about those suck **** boot guards?

I would love to see some preload adjustments added to all 4 shocks.

Better lighting system please.

The storage box has got to be changed, the opening is way to small and it is nowheres near to waterproof.

It's ok to build them as tought as military vehicles, but do they have to be as ugly as them too???

Old 08-19-2000, 02:41 AM
Range Rover

I read the review and the thought actually crossed my mind that if I ever sale my Foreman, I'll look seriously at the Arctic Cat 500. Sounds like one tough machine. I do think that A.C. could do a little to improve the looks though.

Old 08-21-2000, 03:23 PM
MNT
Pro Rider

As stated by Mr. Davis, "I actually had someone admonish me the other day for wanting to test our quads in a "controlled environment." The same terrain gets old looking at though. And, it never ever looks like TOUGH terrain.

The Connection's "worst mud hole" looked like nothing more than deep water. Give us a challenge to look at!

Old 08-21-2000, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

I don't own one, but it sounds like the new cat is a pretty tough machine. I certainly know what he is talking about when he wrote about the torque produced by the engine!! Good review.

Old 08-22-2000, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

My 99 500 also had anoying vibrations. Mine coming from the side plastic panels and just in frount of the radiator cap door where the rack is. I fixed them with a little foam rubber. The gas cap also has a anoying rattel caused by the gas gauge. Why have a gas gauge anyway? None of my motorcycles had a gas gauge and I never had a problem. My, oops, my sons 2000 auto cat was much better but the motor\belt noise is louder then the 99.

scotto
1999 500 Arctic Cat
2000 500 auto Arctic Cat

Old 08-22-2000, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nice to see a good review of the big cat. With all the talk about automatics, it's still good to hear someone prefer gears when it comes to real work and play. Keep the belts in the snowmobiles where they belong.

p.s. I happen to like the rocker shifter.

Old 08-22-2000, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

RDavis, your question whether any other Cat owners experienced locking both front wheels has me intrigued.
First, I have a vague recollection that the front Diffs on both the AC and Suzuki are the same; made by Fuji, also a maker of front diffs for Subaru cars.
Last winter while snowplowing with my QuadMaster, I lost traction (in "3-wheel drive")trying to pile a berm and tried a trick I learned on this forum (feathering the front brake). I felt something "engage" and as I peered over the front end, both front tires were turning.
In contrast, I too have been stuck on roots, etc. and witnessed the "3-wheel" volley.
I'd sure like to know whether AC uses anything different than the engines/drivetrains made by Suzuki and whether there isn't something unique about these diffs, from which we owners could employ some trick (e.g. wait a few seconds, then feather front brake or ???).
I posted my experience some time ago seeking Tree Farmer's analysis. I really appreciated his response, but you just have to see it to believe it and even then it's hard to explain why.
Sure would appreciate any more info as to why this works the way it does and whether there's a way to make it work in more situations.