Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious what the rest of you 'Cat owners thought of the newest review on the Connection. Myself, I thought Mr. Davis did a pretty good job of giving the 500 manual 'Cat an honest write-up after his testing was complete. I think he gave it credit for what it really is-a utility quad, and thus followed through very accordingly with the write-up. It was nice to see this for a change, rather than the usuall "well, the handling sucked at high speeds, etc. etc." that the mag's usually spit out. Though it was pretty apparhent that he didn't care for the rocker shifter too much, I think he did give a good response to nearly all other AC features of the big 500. What do you all think?

Thanks Bob!

Mike

Old 08-18-2000, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

I enjoyed the review also. As Cowboy said you gave it a review for what it was. People that ride my CAT have also been displeased with the rocker shifter. I did not enjoy it at first either. Now it is second nature to me. It may not be better than the normal toe shifter that everyone is used too, but after a few times of riding you get very used to. In my opinion it isn't any better or worse. I don't feel that going as far to say that it should be discontinued would be right. It is just a matter of preferance and some do seem to like it. Just my opinion.

Old 08-18-2000, 11:38 AM
Range Rover

I too, thought it was a fair evaluation.
I agree that it is a utility quad and that was talked about in detail in the article.
The AC 500 may not be the fastest,best looking but it has alot of great features and I think very good workmanship.

Old 08-18-2000, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I also liked the review, thought it was very fair and echoed my thoughts almost to a "T". The writer's comments about the front diff. made me think though. I have been in several situations trying to make it out of a ditch or climbing a steep incline & had only 1 front wheel spinning. I even tried the "tap the brake" option a couple of times to get both wheels spinning with no luck. I'm thinking though that maybe I didn't wait long enough for the limited slip to kick in and put the power to the other wheel. Usually what happens is I spin out with 3 wheel drive & right away I either try a different line or get out the winch. Have any of you tried what Bob described as spinning the wheels & waiting for the diff to kick in or are the 2001's different than my 2000.

Old 08-18-2000, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

After reading the article again,the information refers to 2001 ATV's 'Automatic torque sensing front differential" The writers make it sound like this is something new for 2001.Is it different from 2000 models?

Old 08-18-2000, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I also enjoyed the review. I like all the upgrades they gave the manual that they took from the automatic (larger fuel tank, 2wd/4wd, new trans. range shifter, fuel switch). It makes the decision between automatic and manual that much harder.

I remember reading that the 2000 automatic has the same "Automatic torque sensing" differential. I'm guessing they brought that diffential over to the manual with the 2wd/4wd switch.

After reading the article about how the differential engages and gives you that surge after a few seconds of wheel spin, I think I can relate. I ride a local river bottom and the bank to get in and out of the river is a loose clay-sand. Climbing out in low you can feel the front end start to spin in the loose sand...for a few seconds then boom, no more spinning and you come straight out. You can feel the surge of momentum. Might be a coincidence, but it sure sounds like the description from the review.

Anyway, nice review.

Old 08-18-2000, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I liked it also, it must be hard to evaluate an ATV when so many people are very highly opinionated on the subject in general. People are very loyal to there particular use of an atv and the brand that they choose to use. I find all the reviews and articles very unbiased that I read in the front of this web page. If all the mags and web pages followed suit that would be great.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2000, 09:51 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

Bob, great review, I am, as an AC owner a little biased, but this is the first fair review as a utility quad and it certainly reflects this riders opinion. I have a question relating to the review.

Do you know if the front end on the 2001 is different than the 2000. Ac printed in the 2000 brochure that the front end of the 400 4x4 was torque sensing for true four wheel drive. I was also told by the Ac rep here in Canada that both 500's had the same front end in 2000. I am curious about this as a few AC owners on this site have been left stuck with only three wheels spinning. This would lead me to believe that the 2001 front diff is not the same.

Cheers Jim

Old 08-18-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think Bob was not hard enought on the Arctic Cat actually.

I notice a slight vibration coming threw the floorborads on my 99 model and when I first got my was so annoyed by the vibrating plastic part that covers the radiator cap I threw it away.

Now maybe for 2001 Arctic Cat has fixed these problems, but this is what I have experinced.

I do like the rest of the ARCTICal, except when he started saying that the Arctic Cat had a 499 cc motor instead of the 493cc motor that it has.

Old 08-19-2000, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey BONER,

I looked at your site(nice by the way), I have a question about that Mud guys 300 4x4...Does the front locker stay on all the time or can you turn it on when ever you want? And what are the price of them?

Quick Reply: AC 500 Review