Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

does anyone use the stock ac tires for mudding ?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default tires

Factory tires are a nice compromise, they are designed to get the bike out of the dealership under it own power.

Yes you can do some nice riding on them and play in a little mud and have fun but you will get stuck sooner or later. To be honest you can get stuck on any tire if you try hard enough.

I would not just yank off a set of factory tires until you give them a try. After you figure out were you going to be riding you can select a different performance tire.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default tires

i use 489s for mudding and they work ok. there are better tire for mudding out the though

Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

The stock tires are a good compromise for hardpack to mud and anything in between but doesn't do anything real well except provide a comfortable ride. If you plan on doing any serious mudding get yourself a set of 589s or Mudlites. A set of 26in mudlites are fairly light and will give you a little more ground clearence plus they provide a good smooth ride on hardpack.

Rich.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default tires

the mud lites are an awsome mud and dirt tire.
the gators are better because they are a stiffer tire and dont ware as fast.
i've had both and i say the mud lites are a great buy but the gators will last longer.
i put three hundred miles on my cat befor i put the gators on and it was like night and day.
when i orderd my honda i orderd the tires right away.
they show up three weeks after the quad but thats ok.
go for it you'll never look back.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

Mudblaster,
my friend has a set of 27in gators and they ride like your driving on railroad tracks at lower speeds. What size do you have and do they feel the same? The way his ATV rides with those tires is why I didn't buy them.

Rich.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

I run 26" Dirt Devil XT's and I love the ride at all speads. If I am turning around slow on my concrete garge floor I feel a slight bump of the tires. Other than that they ride great. I will also put in a plug for the DD as an all around great tire.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Range Rover
Default tires

I like the 589's on my rincon. I yanked the stock tires off of it right off after the first servicing! The 589's help to go through places in 2wd the stock tires had a hard time going in 4wd. The stockers on my Big Cat wil do for now. At least until the first servicing! After that i will switch over to the 589's for it. I think I will go 27's or maybe 28's.

Which brings me to my next question. Does any body know, can I fit the 28 inch 589's on an AC 650 without a lift? Do I need wheel spacers, or just get offset rims? Any tips or other advice I would really appreciate!

Old 08-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default tires

Wookie.
i had 28s and i ran 3 1/2 psi in the tires and i found that they road great.
at lower speeds all tires with lugs that big or bigger will ride rough.
my honda is the same way at slow speeds.
i find when your just starting off that its rough but once you get going it smooths out.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

Mudblaster,
Alot of the trails around here go from extremely hard to 2ft of mud but they are all very slow. 8 hours of riding will sometimes only net you 40mi. SO any tire thats rough going slow will slowly drive you nuts.

Rich.

Quick Reply: tires