Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 comparison

maybe if the mags compare the 2 Cat 650's Arctic Cat will actually win a shootout !

I truly believe no other brand can compete but not one magazine rates them high at all.

but I want to know whcih will be better ? at first i heard the twin is for sporty and the single will be for torque but cant the twin be torque in low and for mud.

then the transmission difference. never heard anything bad about the duramatic and nothing good about the Kawi system. think Kawi might have shipped Cat all the set-ups that were out of tolerance for them. what better way to get rid of worthless parts and that expalins to me why so many variables in set-up on Cat's end.

thanks for any comments. this is going to be a tough decision. and kind of want to get it right cause they cost so much.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

If you don't mind spending time and money on the tranny,the V2 is awesome!But if you are like me and want it to work right out of the box and not have to worry about it,the V2 is not the answer.I love the V2,don't get me wrong but the tranny leaves alot to be desired.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Range Rover
Default 650 comparison

does it go good in slow technical stuff. I plan to cruise mostly trails between the action at a big muddin place. not realconcerned about top speed although the faster the better. but more toward just leisure pace.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

Oh yeah,it does great in the slow technical stuff,just shim the belt properly and away you go.It isn't hard to look after the belt if you can wrench a little bit,and the bike IS worth it,just wish it was better.LOL.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

I completely disagree. My experience has been that the tranny performs flawlessly. The only thing I've done is take it in after the first 50 miles, at dealer suggestion, for belt tightening. I have run it hard, through both technical, rugged terrain, and on fast fire roads doing tail slides. I've also hauled heavy weight, plowed snow, and pulled a 500lb trailer full of firewood. I don't even know what it weighed with the wood in it, but the empty weight of the trailer is 500#.

The critical part is that the dealer must know how to properly set it up. My dealer is a Kawasaki dealer and had plenty of Prairie 650 experience before the AC even came out. I would find a dealer that sells both. Cat didn't do a very good job of training their techs. Kawasaki does. It's that simple, in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Range Rover
Default 650 comparison

I know that is the only drawback I see with cat's is the dealer network.
I bought the one I had at a certain tractor place and they went out of business then i got my parts at a boat palce and they quit selling them then i had to go and hour to another tractor place then they quit selling them. so i finally just sold the thing and lost a lot in the process. but now they are really the only option as far as a good ATV is now a days.
Now i do have a dealer that is all he does at his house about a mile from me but just unsure as to his "mechanic" and around here when i used to inquire at the other dealers about parts for the cat they acted like I had the plague or something. so i'd be hesitant on getting the kawi dealer to set it up for me. and it cost me. getting it new one expects it to be right to begin with.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

I would suggest looking at the H1. The Duramatic is a proven tranny, really good design. All they changed when putting it together with the new 650 motor, was added more ventilation to help cooling. I've heard a lot of good things about this trans, and not much bad.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

The secondary belt driven clutch is continuously engaged, this means the belt will never sit idle as the engine continues to run. By eliminating this weak point found in most other automatics, Arctic Cat enables quicker throttle responses and allows for longer belt life. By producing power in this manner, the load pulling power increases.

I took the exerpt from and article about the Duramatic

Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Range Rover
Default 650 comparison

so really i need to ask this question when the single comes out to really get opinions.
Thanks for everybodys thoughts though.

wish they'd go ahead and get them out to us.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 comparison

I think alot of people think way too much about this trans issue.I know for some reason Kaw sent these out with the belts set at the high end of the deflection.Mine was one.I adjusted it CORRECTLY at 400 miles and now am at 1100 miles and all is well.The biggest problem is finding someone (or monkey) that is competent.I do all the work myself and it is not hard but it has only been once in 18 months.I ride with other 650/700 Prairies and not one has ever tripped the belt sensor.One aspect no one catches is this design of drive does not have an internal clutch.The belt does it all.When you do have an internal clutch there is wear and there are particles that pass thru the engine and hopefully get caught in the filter.I personally think Yamaha has the best drive hands down...especially with the one way sprag clutch but once again......they have an internal clutch.
As far as power I cannot imagine a single for whatever reason having more torque.You only make power every other revolution on a single and EVERY one on a twin.I know from experience from riding a grizz it is not even close to having the power down low that the 650 does.Of course some of this could be in the cams.
Get the twin.......get the belt set right (if it's not already) and enjoy.There is PLENTY of support on the Kaw forum.
02 650 Camo

Quick Reply: 650 comparison