Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 stalling

i am having a prob with my 650. what it is doing is after riding hard through the whoops it stalls like it is out of gas, removing the gas cap doesn't seem to help. it has to run a few minutes before you can give it any throttle or it will die. to me it sounds like a problem with the floats but in past experience bad float setting and rough road will cause flooding, not out of gas like this is acting. i did a search here and the kawi forum and only came up with the choke cable problem and it seems to have different symptoms. any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

You need to determine whether it is rich or lean. Next time it does that, pull a plug or try using your choke to see if it wants more fuel. Chances are you're flooding it because your main jets are too big. I had to go to 120 jets. I ride from 3000 to 12ooo feet.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

didn't pull a plug to verify but i am positive it is lean. mostly be cause of the way it restarts. it acts just like you ran out of gas,sputters and won't take any throttle with out coughing like a bad accelerator pump. witch makes me think the float bowls are empty. i just don't know why they would be.
on another forum they said some thing about a tip over valve that shuts off fuel in case of a roll. have you guy heard of this or know where it is? thanks for the input.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

I haven't heard of the tip over thing, but it could very well be a safety feature they have. Another thing that comes to mind with your lean problem is "Vapor Locking" I have never had that problem, but with the carbs being closed in with all the shroud, they may be getting a lot of heat from the exhaust. My buddie's Suzuki vapor locks occasionaly. Try temporarily isolating (Insulating the carbs) with a piece of fiberglass building insulation to see if it helps. Make sure your heat sheilds are in place, I have heard of things like that being left off accidently at the factory. Also, is your fan coming on when it gets hot?

Old 08-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

yes the fan comes on when hot. i don't think it is vapor lock cause it only does it when riding very hard through whoops, you can ride for two or three hrs. with no probs. i found the tip over switch it is right behind the taillight, it doesn't seem to be the prob either it cuts ignition not fuel so I'm still stumped. thanks for the ideas.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Range Rover
Default 650 stalling

something else you copuld check is the fuel pump- I have never had one out but maybe a pickup or something is pluging up or ???? Its something to think about.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

thought about that. i pulled the fuel line off and turned the key and it is getting good flow. but i haven't been able to go for a ride to make it happen so i could check while i am having the problem though. that was next on the list. i was also going to carry an allen wrench so i could make sure that the carbs were empty or the prob was somewhere else.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 stalling

have you tried tearing the carbs off and cleaning them? I had a 500i a couple years ago and brand new sometimes it would stall after about 200 yards then i would have to turn it over forever then it would start and run fine so i brought it in they tore the carb off of it and somehow a small piece of plastic got into the carb and was restricting the fuel i would take it to the shop and tell them what is going on with it and i have had mine sitting straight up and down and it still sits there and idles so i don't know about any shutoff thing but like you said it sounds like it would be for the electrical it woudl cut it off good luck

Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 stalling

didn't try cleaning them, when i took the float bowls off they were clean and the bike only has about 150 miles.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 stalling

mine had low miles on it to i would tear them completely apart for the smallest lil piece of debris will cause it to feel like it isn't getting any gas and if you don't know how i am sure the shop wouldn't charge that much but i would bring it to your dealer for warranty covers it tell them what it does and tell them to have at it

Quick Reply: 650 stalling