Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

manual tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual tranny slipping

First off, I have an 04 500 4x4 manual. There have been a few times where I've been on it pretty hard and when I got to shift, it sounds like the tranny is slipping or something, sounds like the gears are missing. I've also heard the same thing on my 99 honda fourtrax 300, I just thought it was the tranny wearing out on it then I got my new AC and it does it too. There also have been times when I'm in deep mud or something and I need to downshift quickly but it won't go down no matter how hard I stomp on the shifter, I almost have to stop, or it seems so in the situation when you think you're done if you stop. Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

What type of oil are you using? Is it kicking out of gear....or just slipping under a load? Have you done a clutch adjustment for free play?

Old 08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can't remember what brand of oil I bought, I've only changed it once, only had it 5 months. I used the weight it called for. It doesn't slip out of gear, just when I try to shift when I'm going fast and I don't know which gear, either going into 2nd or 3rd. I hear the gears grinding so I let off the gas and it will eventually grab. I usually try to push the shifter down just enough to disengage so the gears don't grind. I havn't adjusted the clutch. Wouldn't know how. I've got a Climber book for my Honda that shows how if it's the same basic procedure. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

You would'nd happen to have your foot on the shifting lever would you?
I have had the same problem more than once when riding hard and accendently stepped on the shifter.
as soon as you bump/touch the lever the bike goes into neutral, like pulling on the clutch on a motorcycle.
good luck
Terry

Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pretty sure I didn't, that makes sense though.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

Arctichead,

I had the exact same problem. It is true that with the heal-toe shifter you tend to accidently hit it when riding and it will cause the gear to feel like they are slipping. Howver, I think that the problem that you are describing is this: There is some sort of spring the pulls the shifter back to a "neutral" position in the tranny in that model and this spring is too weak on the Arctic Cats, and the shifter tends to get "Stuck" for a moment out of gear. So If you are shifting fast you will run into this problem more often, or if it is cold out and the oil is thick.

I ended up putting a toe shifter on the unit and I will NEVER go back to a heel-toe. The machine shifts like a dream now and there is no missed gears.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

yo where can u buy a toe shifter for an 400ac 4x4??

Old 08-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Arctichead, just a suggestion but you might try unbolting the shift lever and remove it from the machine. Then clean and lubricate the shaft for the shifter. I used graphite grease, then reassemble it and see if it still does it.

I ride my 400 quite a bit on beach and the salt water that gets sprayed up onto my foot pegs runs off my shifter at times. But, when it gets a litte too gunked up it begins to stick slightly. Which means when I am down shifting is stays in neutral because the pedal doesn't freely return to the original position. It also does it when up-shifting. Anyway, when it sticks and you get back on the throttle it grinds a little bit and can also make a really loud clunk when it finally goes into gear. Acts like you are riding with your feet inthe shifter.

This sounds real similar to your problem and is very easy fix. Takes about 30 minutes. I had to do this about 5 months after I got my bike and have had no problems with it since. THe shifts are real smooth now going up or down. I also run AC synthetic oil but don't know if that helps or not.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 08-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

well i have a 250 ex and i know exactly what u are saying. i really dont know if the AC has a drive shaft or not but that what it tends to feel like what is sliping like the rear end does turn as fast as the drive shaft and seems like it is grinding . the olny thing i coujld tell u is get a chain driven quade

Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Ultimately Guys, this problem starts from this weak spring. A toe Shifter fixes the problem unless you want to open up the tranny and find a stronger spring. The toe shifter I have the link for is for all models exept the 2003/2004 500. The dealer said it would work but the shaft is wrong. I cut up the heal/toe shift and the toe shifter off of their shafts and welded the right pieces back together. Piece of cake. Took 20 minutes. Here is where you can get the toe shifter (other than the dealer of course)

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Ac...V/0436-239.htm

Quick Reply: manual tranny slipping