Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Gear indicator not reading high gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear indicator not reading high gear

I own two 2005 arctic cat 500 trv automatics, I recently had arctic cat winchs dealer installed (2500#). One of my quads kept blowing the ignition fuse. Sometimes right after I turned the key on, sometimes after I rode 10 miles. I completly disconected the winch and it still blew the fuse. Took it into a different dealer and he said the winch was not properly installed, he used factory plug for the switch rather than tapping into main wire harness with "jumper wire". Quad runs fine now but gear indicator for high gear on the digital dash just blinks a line. Reverse, low, and netrual all appear as normal.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a diode that goes on the solenoid that pevents the lights from getting blown, it runs between the two small terminals of the solenoid. If it isn't there and with the rest of the screw ups by the first dealer, I'd check to see if he short cut other places.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

He probabilly caused a LED failure in the display- the diode bear is talking about is for the old style winch solenoids which are most commonly found on the 2000 lb winches. The old style solenoid is round and has 4 lugs on it and it looks like a starter solenoid. The new rectangular solenoid (black and has 4 lugs for wire hookups and a plug for the switch) that come with all 2500 lb arctic cat warn winches have the diode built in that won't let it cause a power surge that blows out the leds. I am guessing that the tech hooked into something that they shouldn't have, especially since there is no reason to splice into the harness being that there is a accessory plug. I would guess that they are going to have to replace the whole display unit as they are sealed and not serviceable. The dealer should pick up the tab and it should be warranty work.