Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, check engine, hot/oil light

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, check engine, hot/oil light

Hi everyone. Hoping someone could help me out on this.

I'm having some issues with my Sportsman 700.
The last few days the check engine light comes on, flashes hot in the instrument cluster, even if not ran at all. One day the warning shifted between HOT and OIL.
When this happens during driving, it runs fine on idle speed, but when speeding up, it cuts off frequently, so you'll be jumping back and forwards. It doesn't die completely. Seemed like I was able to overrun this by pressing the mode button.

The last thing that happened, is that the speedometre needle is going crazy,(when engine is off).
There is probably some water in the instrument cluster, as the lid is not sealing properly, currently taken off to dry out indoor.

Also, the AWD symbol is stuck ON, but it's not engaging the front wheels at any point.

The gear indicator seems crazy at times as well, says it's in R but actually in L and other varieties. I read another thread that this switch was the cause of his problems, could that be my case as well? Will it help disconnect it, or will that give another error?

Anyone have some ideas where to start Need some help on this.

Kim

Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Carb or efi model?.. Does make a difference on which one you have.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi. It's a carb. The chassisnumber is 4XACH68A44A311671 if that tells you something. Made 2004, sold february 2005. Not sure if it's the early or late 2004 or maybe a 2005mod

Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best way to tell if it has the plagued Ducati ignition system is to pull the front rack and pop the front panel and check. If it's an early build,then this could be the problem you're having. Item #2 in the parts break down shows the ignition systems that were built before 2/23/03 (Ducati) and the updated Kokusan updated ignition built after 2/23/2003. The #2202602 kits are still available to get rid of the Ducati system if you have it.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
2202602 KIT-IGNITION,700,KOK,ATV $479.07

Old 07-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll have a look tomorrow morning, but I spoke to the local dealer who told me it was built in 2004. Can't remember if he said which month, but definitely after 2/23/03. Does that eliminate that possible cause?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by KimSJoh
I'll have a look tomorrow morning, but I spoke to the local dealer who told me it was built in 2004. Can't remember if he said which month, but definitely after 2/23/03. Does that eliminate that possible cause?
Only way to tell is to check under the front panel. If it doesn't have a separate cdi and coil,just a combo cdi/coil pack with plug wires out of it that says Ducati you'll know for sure. Changeover dates are just estimates also as I've found out. If you have a module that looks like this you have the Ducati ignition.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, check engine, hot/oil light-mykha0vlhbjf7cqeheworha.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I just had a closer look at the drawing, I'm pretty sure I saw the small coil,Item 16, bolted on the upper left side underneath the hood. But I know the spark plug caps looks exactly like on the Ducati pic above with the cover lip around it at an angle . Anyway, I'll check in the morning to be 100%.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Now I've checked the ignition set, it's KOK, with separate coil and cdi. So guess that's ok then? Took some pics, if I figure out how to add them here.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

So well that sounds like you can eliminate the electrical system(possibly) and go back to your problems you listed. Stuck gear position on the speedo could possibly be a faulty gear position switch on the gear case. I've had to replace these before. But you also mention that the speedo is also acting up,jumping between hot and oil warning lights,plus possibly has moisture in it as you have said and have it off trying to dry it out. Possible both the gear position switch and the speedo are the problems or the speedo alone? But before I'd pay 80 bucks for a switch or over 300 for a speedo ,I'd get the manual and go through the troubleshooting guides. It has a good speedo section that can help narrow down to where it's the problem or possibly a wiring harness problem.2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the manual, and will have a look at the troubleshooting. I'll let you know the progress. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, check engine, hot/oil light