Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

You won't believe this !

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You won't believe this !

I've also heard of the many alternate oil filters for my 500i. My solution to this issue?

When I change oil in the spring, I go to my Cat dealer, shell out $28 for the synthetic oil change kit, go home, change the oil, and ride worry free. That's probably a bit pricey for an oil change, but it isn't needed very often, and the consequences of error when selecting oil or filters is extremely expensive...

Old 09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

hI ...Well in Canada it is 49 bucks for the change kit fora 400.....and 29 bucks for the 650..................i figure.......if i have to worry about a couple bucks for oil........and filter.i beter ..not be buying toys......and if i use cat..products they cant say i used something different....
and any way if u have the auto bike........u should use the recomended oil.as some after market oil will gum up the clutch in 400 and 500 bikes.....just an obsevation......
Ride hard .....ride safe and have fun

Old 09-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

There is a law called the Magnusson\Moss act that covers this issue...

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

I learned about this when my dodge dealer told me that putting a K&N filter on my truck would void the warranty (even though the week before they were perfectly willing to sell me one for my truck the week before). I dissagreed. The service writer then proceded to get an attitude and tell me he has been doing this for 10 years and he knows what he is talking about. So I came home and did a little research and when I went back to pick up my truck I gave the service writer a printout of this law. He said " I have never heard of this law, are you sure this is right?"I told him I was andhe should think twice before threatening to void a customers warranty when he had no clue as to the facts. I then went in and told his manager that his emlpoyee had just lost him a customer.

Don't let your dealer try to scare you with the "your warranty will be void" BS, the law is on your side!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Isn't that what I brought up? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

You did, just thought I would elaborate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]