Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

You won't believe this !

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You won't believe this !

My Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan street bike uses the same oil filter as Kawasaki uses and list for their 650 ( OEM #16097-1072) I was just told by Arctic Cat that using this filter would void my warrantee should there be any problems as it is not the filter specified by A.C. !! I asked if A.C. OEM filter # 3201-044 is the same filter as Kawasaki's filter number listed above and she didnt know but using it would void the warrantee. She went on to say that A.C. buys the 650 from Kawasaki based on specs that A.C. gives to Kawasaki for the motor and because of this, the filter specs may be different. Anyone ever find an oil filter listed for a Cat 650 other than sold by a Cat dealer with a Cat part number ? If so, let me know because I sure cant find it. This means I cant grab a filter from my 1500 filter stockpile but now have to buy what Im sure is the same exact filter from the Cat dealer. Great.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Slaghammer;
She would never get a judge to find for her in court. I doubt that Arctic Cat would say that also. What she is after is making profit off over priced parts. If the motor says Kawasaki on it, and it does, then a Kawi filter should be ok. Made to Arctic Cat's specs my butt, I would bet that the specs are the same for both motors. Why not shoot an e-mail to Arctic Cat and ask them. Dealers lie as much as lawyers running for office. Consumers Union uses Fram filters as a base line for testing and have never had a manufactures filter out do a Fram, as good but not out do. Some of the high dollar aftermarket filters won't even do as well as a Fram.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Again, I got this from Arctic Cat direct, not a dealer !! I know its the same motor. Thats what ticks me off.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slaghammer,

On another AC forum, I asked if someone could recommend a good non-AC Oil filter for my AC 500i. My dealer charges $16.95 for their chrome version and $12.95 for their non-chrome version. I was looking for something less expensive. To my surprise, all sorts of people replied to my post. It seems there is approx 8 different Oil filters that can be used on my '02 500i unit. One person told me he works on the Oil Filter assembly line and his plant makes 3 of them. They are exactly the same but during their painting process, they stick a different label on them. And to the retailer, each one has a different selling price. Go figure???? If wondering, I finally purchased a non-AC Oil Filter for $8.95. I know $4 + 15% taxes this isn't much savings but when one is a single income of a family of 5, each little bit counts.

I read your post and feedback from your AC person again. Lots of implied "don't know and should use our brand only" implied feedback. Basically, it sounds like she doesn't know if another non-AC Oil Filter will fit or if she does know, she's trying very hard NOT to recommend trying it. In a way, I don't blame her. If she doesn't know, she doesn't know. If she did recommend it and her upper mgmt found out, they'd lay into her. Might even "fire her" if she does it too many times.

Note: If it looks the same, smells the same, bolts on the same, has the same volume size and feels the same, it's probably the same Oil Filter - with a different label on its outside. I don't know the answer either but I've been very pleased with my non-AC Oil filter on my AC 500i unit.

As a suggestion, purchase the AC oil filter until your warranty runs out. After its warranty runs out, use what ever brand of Oil Filter you feel works best.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to mention. The $8.95 price for my non-AC oil filter was from my local Honda dealer. Yes, from a Honda dealer. It was a special order and his price still beat my local automotive stores. Go figure???

Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

No question about alternate filters that will work. I'll be happy to post a cross reference chart site. My point is that I keep a supply of filters in my shop that are the exact same filter but I cant use them if I want to avoid any potential warrantee problems should there be a problem. For A.C. to play this game, they should be able to state that there is in fact a difference in the filter specs. Cost is not a problem so I'll go get a stockpile of A.C. oil filters and then I'll have two seperate stacks of filters that are the same damn thing with different part numbers by the same manufacturer.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

Its a kawi filter- it even says on it. Its just got a cat p/n sticker on the BOX right over the kawi name. As far as using an aftermarket filter voiding your warranty thats bull UNLESS it is found that the filter caused the problem.......

Old 09-02-2004, 12:19 AM
PFO
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Slaghammer
No question about alternate filters that will work. I'll be happy to post a cross reference chart site. My point is that I keep a supply of filters in my shop that are the exact same filter but I cant use them if I want to avoid any potential warrantee problems should there be a problem. For A.C. to play this game, they should be able to state that there is in fact a difference in the filter specs. Cost is not a problem so I'll go get a stockpile of A.C. oil filters and then I'll have two seperate stacks of filters that are the same damn thing with different part numbers by the same manufacturer.

Gee here is a thought, put the "official "filter on, if and when you have to take it in for service.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Baldwin B1400 is the same spec as the kawi filter. I use Baldwin B1431, which is about an inch longer, otherwise same specs and about $5.00.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I went through this with truck warrantee a few years ago.......the only way a dealer can say that a warrantee is void if you don't use their parts and oil is if THEY SUPPLY ALL THE OIL AND FILTERS FREE OF CHARGE!!! This is a fact.