Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?

Gillfisher:

I built my own ice shack 2 years ago, and it ended up weighing a little more than I wanted. Not sure on the weight, but I'm guessing at 750#. I've got a 600cc machine currently, and quite a few times, I struggle to get it moving across the lake without a little help from someone else to break it loose or push it forward a little to get me going. It does get frustrating quite often. Mine uses wood runners that I've skinned with plastic, so I've got a pretty good surface to work with. I've been thinking of setting mine up with a wheel/ski combo situation where the wheels would be located just barely below the ski line profile. This would also allow you to do shortterm trips around the yard at other times of the year, go up on to the parking lots at boat landing parking lots, etc. If I were you, I'd give it a serious thought. It's nice to save your ambition and energy for what you really want to be working at........Ice fishing, not struggling to get yourself around a lake. My experience has been that with weights like you mentioned is really better served with a car or truck. Good luck this winter.

Rickwalley

Old 09-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Mankato is in Blue Earth County. Review the MN DNR website for specific lakes and their most recent fish inventories. A google search on Minnesota Lake Finder will get you there.
Bluegill sunfish are possibly the most popular fish in most Minnesota lakes (even in the Badger area). I have heard stories of the iron range pitt lakes having monster dinner plate sized bluegills, I'm planning to go fish for them soon myself.

Also - with chains on the quad I help move several ice houses off the lake by my house each year. Some are 12x12 in size. Only a idiot would spin the tires over a few mph as thats how you throw off a chain and remove the fenders from your quad.

Good luck

Old 09-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Hey Gillfisher, I used to live in Manakato, and still own about 35 acres of land just south of there. It is not really a very good fishing spot, but an hour or two north by Willmar and you will be in a great area. Mankato is a great little town though, they have great running trails, snowmobiling trails, and I think they are getting some ATV trails too last I heard. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

gillfisher, I live in New Ulm, 25miles from Mankato. One great lake by kato is Lake Washington, about 10 minutes from Mankato. Nice crappie and Sunnys. Great time ice fishing there!
Catterman, is your 35 acres wooded? any chance of getting in there to do a little bowhunting???

2003 500 Auto Red.

ice fish
deer hunt
bear hunt
does it all!

Old 09-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: shooter29
Catterman, is your 35 acres wooded? any chance of getting in there to do a little bowhunting???
Sorry shooter29, my old man lives in Fairmont and he bowhunts there. Yes about half of it is wooded, you can see two pictures of the land in my photos area. I have got a nice 9-pointer out of there and my dad has gotten three 8-pointers. All within the last 5 years. Nothing big enough to mount, but they sure taste good!

Old 09-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

once again who you are shooting your mouth off there are NO bluegills right in this immediate area and walleye is the most popular fish up here i have fished bluegills before and they are fun to catch but i never hear of ANYONE going fishing just for them cause they aren't here

Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Weez, I would usually not reply to such an immature reply, and I won't drop to your level by making an attack on someone, except obviously you are a young and green! If you are indeed on the same page as everyone else, Lake Washington by Mankato is in southern Minnesota in Le Suer county. It is indeed a "Panfish" lake with some walleye. The DNR survey mape is right here! http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/...ownum=40011700

take the time to educate yourself before you reply to something you don't know. In addition to this I have personally fished this lake for 25years.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
once again who you are shooting your mouth off there are NO bluegills right in this immediate area and walleye is the most popular fish up here i have fished bluegills before and they are fun to catch but i never hear of ANYONE going fishing just for them cause they aren't here
Well son, before you get your froot-of-the-looms overly twisted up in a knot you may want to check out the DNR lake inventory for bluegill sunfish in Hayes lake, Roseau County. Badger is still in Roseau County isn't it?

"If you don't have a boat, you can use the fishing pier or pick a place on the bank near one of the picnic areas or campground. Largemouth bass, black crappie, yellow perch, and bluegill sunfish have all become reestablished since fish were stocked following a winterkill in 1989-90. Stocking and the addition of a pipe that draws off water in the lake at a depth where it typically lacks oxygen, has lead to sustainable populations of these species. "

If blowing up and being a hot head isn't working out for you, I can offer a little advise - Its always a safe bet to say nothing, then to open your mouth and prove you don't know what your talking about.

Good luck

Old 09-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

ok i would like to appologize to you who for blowing up that was immature and i did some asking around and there are some bluegills in this area like in hays lake lake of the woods and lake bronson but hardly anyone ever fishes for them and that is why i didn't think we even had them around here but you were right and i was wrong i was having a bad day yesterday well nm i won't make excuses i was still a lil sore for that comment you made about gong 50 mph with a fishouse but ok i made my peace

Old 09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad that there are Blue gills in the Mankato area, not a better tasting fish in my book. They also can be a challenge to catch - the decent sized ones any way ( 8" + ), and on light takle put up a tremendous fight.

Still have not heard if the company I work for got the project over there or not, I am going to wait on my purchase until I find out where I am going to be working.

Weez, glad you apologized ( men are not affraid to admit they are wrong )

Thanks for all the good tips, some good points I hadnt thought of.

Quick Reply: What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?