Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?

I am planning on buying an ATV this fall for use ice fishing, I like the AC's and intend on purchasing one, I just am not sure which would be best for running on the lake with a foot or better of snow. I also have a large ice shack that I take out on one of the local lakes and I need to be able to pull it around ( weighs around 800 lbs ) and is not on wheels, just wooden runners ( not ski's ). I would also like to be able to go out during the late ice melt down which usually has the shoreline ice gone for 5 or 10 feet then back into solid ice again, the shorelines are not very deep at all where I go so it shouldnt be a problem climbing back up on the good ice. I am pretty sure I would need to put chains on and that does not bother me. I also am out of the go fast stage in my life and want pulling power and ride comfort over speed and handling at speed. I will also do a little trail riding in northern Wisconsin but not a lot to start with anyway.

Any help you can give would be apriciated.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest the 500 or the 650. The 4,5 and 650 have the same chasis, it just depends on how much power you can afford.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Rem
Pro Rider

we went with the 500 LE .. its got ok power i guess... but not enough speed for me..................... its really torque-y though, my dad likes it

Go-Pack-Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old 09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Gill, We use the Arctic Cat TRV two up machines as its great for hauling a friend with and the MRP rack system is fabulous for everything from minnow buckets to ice augers. The TRV has a little more weight, and a smoother ride - and its the easiest to steer quad that I've driven.

I had to put a tank heater on the polaris to get it started when real cold - and it works really good - but the Arctic Cat has the carb primer lever and that makes all the difference. Seems to start on the first power stroke and that can make a difference between riding or walking off the cold lake where theres nothing to plug the heater into.

I had to make my own rear TRV rack as AC doesn't provide one but its not much effort to have some square tube welded up. There are tons of accessories for quads and I recommend Ryans ATV accessories. I've met Ryan - he's a ice fisherman also and he wants his products to work for the other ice fisherman. Check out this site for the Ryan products.
<a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ryansatvracks.com" target=blank>http://www.ryansatvracks.com
</A>

Good luck

Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

i would say for your use the 500 with the mrp system would be the best setup for ice fishing you got good low end power and with the 650 the darn belt becomes an issue (damn kawasaki) ok so i am a lil upset with kawasaki right now but the 650 might be the best bet for you to cause you can run up to 45 to 50 mph in low range therefore if you get in alot of snow you won't be over reving the motor cause low end is geared higher and for 2005 the 400 500 and 650's all having a locking front diff which has bailed my butt out more then once

Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

whoooooosh...... (fish house behind 650 doing 50mph) lol... not.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer

I would get a 500 TBX and chain it up....that's what I use for ice fishing and it works great.

The box on back allows you to throw some x-tra stuff in and go.....no need to tie it down. Fits the tacks box nicely along with a five gallon pail and some rods, and you don't need to buy the additional expensive MRP accessories.

And my house is a 6.5 x 16 foot aluminum house I built and weighs around 1000-1200 lbs. depending on what's in it so I'm sure it should pull your house fine. I guess mine is on wheels though.......

Good luck with your purchase......make sure to look at the TBX though. I think you'll like it.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

hey who no need to be a smartass i was mearly letting him know that it has the capability to go up to 50 mph before it over rev's therefore if he gets in deep snow he doesn't have to worry bout over reving the motor if you would have read what i wrote a lil more carefully you might have read that

Old 09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to see there are ice fishermen on this site, thanks for your input.

You guys in Minn, I may be coming over to work in Mannkato, are there any good bluegill lakes near there?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

never fished near manakato but where i live there is great walleye fishing on lake of the woods and i also have a couple holes where it is fun to catch northern pike i guess we got all kinds but i don't believe we have bluegills up here

Quick Reply: What Artic Cat for Ice fishing?