Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Synthetic oil??????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil??????????????????

Running your engine without oil is bad. Run it with oil in it and change it now and then and it will run a long time.

Does that make everyone feel better?

I've run synthetic for many years in all of my engines, including some that were brand new when I started. It has caused no problems, leaks, whatever. I've never worn any of these engines out, either.

The only reason I run it is for the extra protection just in case conditions demand it. I'm not sure I've ever come across those conditions, but it gives me a little extra peace of mind. I don't think you can go wrong either way if you use the right oil and change it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

all of the oils are of higher quality than they have ever been.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Changing the oil every 300 miles sounds like over-kill to me,I do that in a weekend sometimes.It costs me 40 bucks Cdn to change the oil with the synthetic oil and a filter.Couldn't afford to do that every weekend.I keep my air filter spic and span and change the oil less than it says.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Switched to sythetic on the 01 400, Love the stuff! engine runs smoother, cooler andshifts quieter.
Been using sythetic in my vehicles for years. Just purchased a Vinson Auto and after i get a few hundred miles on it I plan on switching it over to amsoil also. Briggs and straton (check the web site) makes mention of the fact that using synthetic oil will lower operating temp by 10-15 degrees. Also, sythetic oil will flow MUCH faster in cold weather than conventional oil. Conventional oil has come a long way but there still are benefits to using sythetic but it cost more.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would never use syntheic in any of my machines, synthedic doesnt stay on the parts that need to be on when its warming up, and thats the biggest point when motor damage is done, when they are 1st started and havent been warmed up yet

Old 09-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Where'd you hear that?? I disagree with you, there's always a light film of oil on the critical parts. Conventional oil will have the same charicteristics if left long enough, they all will. Fact is synthetic flows NOW, in all temperatures and has a very stable level of viscosity throughout its' tempertaure range. It's just plain better oil, and it justifies the price.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

my dad told me, he's been a small engines mechainc for 30yrs, he said synthidic is better for long rides, but not during warm up, but i think iam goning to start running synthedic if i get a 4x4

Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I think your dad must be old school,nothing against him or you but look ahead,not back,things change and sometimes change is good.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

TrailBlazerguy250 do a little research on the Internet about Synthetic.

Synthetic was originally developed for the military because it would stick to the parts better. Say a crank case got hit and all of the oil drained out of it. It would operate longer because of the properties of synthetic.

The truth is it is better in every way than regular oil. In some ways too good. Don't use it during engine break in or it'll never break in.

Synthetic was brought to the consumer market in the late 80's/early 90's (Castrol Syntec) en masses but Amsoil was available back in 1972. Back then people didn't know how to handle it. There were NUMEROUS reports of race car mechanics using it in their engines and having low power. They found out that synthetic lubricated so well that it was keeping their new engines from breaking in. They had to use the old stuff until they broke in, then switched to synthetic. You'll NOT find a Nascar car out there that doesnt use synthetic. It's simply better. But break the engine in using regular dino oil first.

Read this article.. you might find it helpful. www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/FAQs/faq.oil.2

Old 09-26-2004, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Read this article for engine break in tips. Don't follow the AC manual break in suggestions if you want the most out of your engine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 09-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks guys, yeah he is old school on alot of stuff, but I see your point and that its not like it use to be, I think ill start running synthedic.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil??????????????????