Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 650 stuck in limp mode.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 650 stuck in limp mode.

im pissed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]just put 26 inch mud hooks on my quad they are not real heavy.went for a ride in a serious mud pit.i always run in low gear.had lots of fun for about ten minutes then my belt started smokingand smelling of burning.now im in the middle of this pit stuck because of the LIMP MODE.i cant express how pissed i was.my winch is still on backorder so now im stuck.and its pouring rain.it took two hours of all my strengh and putting flat rocks underneath my tires to get out .my tires couldnt self clean because i couldnt spin them fast enough.due to the limp mode.i have this plug and instructions to reset limp mode.tried several times wouldnt reset.finally got out then rode 2 miles home in limp mode cursing and yelling out loud.damn i like my bike. time for the dynatek cdi.the only thing i dont like about the dynatek is cant it overheat the bike at slow crawling speeds or at idle?if thats true that doesnt sound too much better than the limp mode.PLEASE HELP ME.also i heard that there is a high performance antifreeze that supposedly runs the bike alot cooler .is this true.and where can i get it ?and will it help the dynatek cdi issue?thank you for any response .im disconcerted and dissapointed.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure about the overheating thing with dynatek but I have one on my 650 and we ride around all day less then 10 mph. Haven't over heated yet. I also have the epi black spring and the dayco hp belt with 27 inche outlaw tires. Check out my pics my brother in law has a 40 acre woods that never dries up and there's no bottom to a lot of mudholes.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for your reply hobut.hey that dayco belt is that any better than the stock belt ?and is it recomended for the 650?

Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Yeh its alot better there's 2 sizes HP 2017and HP2018 I have the 2018. I smoked the stock belt in a big mudhole and that glazed the belt. It never acted right after that. I then installed the dayco and smoked it in a big mudhole I forgot to put cat in low range. But evan after that the belt seems ok.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Spikeland,you probably shredded your belt and tripped the switch inside the cover,you will have to take the cover off and trip the switch by hand.Take a look at the belt(duh)while the cover is off,if it isn't shredded it is likely way out of specs and if you smoked it bad its likely glazed and has some spots burnt into it from the sheaves.

Let us know what you find out will ya?Thanks dude.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the antifreeze but I think there is an additive called Water Wetter you can put in.

Did your bike overheat?Did the idiot light come on?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

no hey you my bike did not overheat.i just thought if i got the dynatek that it would run hotter.i didnt get to check the belt i will tomorrow and ill let you know what i find.im skeptical about the dynatek i hear people are having backfiring problems.i dont want to spend money to buy more problems.but i dont want these belt problems either.if i keep having these belt issues.im gonna sell the bike.i want to ride it not work on it or more importantly worry about the belt while i ride.thats no fun to me.niether is taking it back to the dealer when its brand new.im frustrated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

If I'm not mistaken, the Dynatek IS the best CDI to get for low RPM riding. I've heard that the others actually make your machine run hotter at low speeds. The Dynatek actually adjusts the timing instead of just tricking the factory unit. I also suggest checking the trip switch. If you smoked the belt as bad as you said, it's possible she's shreeded and you tripped the switch. Don't let this one incident influince your impression on the ATV. Most of us have been there and learned from our experience. Find out what happened, fix it, and learn from it. The most important thing to remember is, that if you can't get your wheels spinning, your really stuck. Get out the winch, when you get it. Also, remember, riding by yourself isn't the safest thing to do. Be glad you only had mechanical trouble. Have fun. You'll love your ride, and that I'm sure of.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like you tripped the switch inside the belt cover to and i got the dynatek cdi and i believe the first ones they had some problems with them but fixed it and i haven't had anything to say about my that isn't positive it makes mine run cooler more horsepower and NO LIMP MODE i think i finally got the belt thing figured out black secondary pink primary all i am waiting for is my new belt and i will let ya know how that works but even with the old belt i couldn't get it to slip i put the pink in tonight and well i was driving it around without the clutch cover trying to get the burnt belt to slip and couldn't i was powerbraking it in high range going up a steep ditch and it kept chuggin but i will keep ya posted after i get my new belt

Old 09-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

my bike runs cooler with the dynatec cdi and i also added water wetter and it runs at 160 degrees

Quick Reply: 05 650 stuck in limp mode.