Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

crash stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crash stories

heres a pretty cool story about some crashes at the rally i was at in adena ohio about a month ago. It had rained all that day so the trails were in pretty bad shape, by the time were were done i must have weighed like 40 pounds more cause of all the mud on me. the group i was with consisted of two sportsmen one 500 and one 600, one predator 500, me on my ac 400 4x4, and my uncle on his fl250 odyssey. MY uncle was leading and we came out of the woods to an open part of the trail that widened out, so i think cool, finally get to open up the throttle. i get over the top of the hill and i see a right hander, and off camber one too. So i tap the brakes lightly to slow down and the wheels lock up on the slick clay trail. i let off the brakes and try to get in the grass for a lil more traction, but i hit a rut and my wheels go in full right, the bike starts tipping forward, im struggling to get off the bike and pull a muscle in my leg gettin over the handle bars, but the bike stops and its standing on the front end straight up. im standing there like, holy cow. then i see the guy on the 500 sliding across the ground and here comes the polaris flipping sideways three times. he broke his brake cylinder mount on his handle bars and gauge cluster and fender, we all had a good laugh about it later at the trucks. post your own crash stories, like to hear em

Old 09-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default crash stories

I took my 400 4x4 auto to western colorado for a day ride at DeBeque,CO (Sept 6th). Ran pretty good but I flipped the cat while driving in a damp sandy wash {was real flat and wide for a wash}. I was doing about 10-15 mph and hit the brake hard for a 90deg turn. Well, the next thing I know, I was flying over the handle bars. I don't remember hitting the dirt but remember looking up and see my big black rear cargo box coming for me. Then I look left and saw my younger brother stopping and hopping off his borrowed bike. Then I jumped up and helped my bro turn the cat upright.(was on its side.) My father and friends where watching when that happen and was very scared since the back of the cat, hit and bounced off the center of my back while I laid on the ground. The good news is my back wasn't hurt nor any marks on it. Just right above my elbow was sore and had a knot on it. There were no damage to the cat. I really wish my dad or someone videotaped it so I could watch it since everyone told me it about four seconds from strating to flip over and when I hopped on and started it .I was really sore from the 76 mile trip and did ran out of gas (main tank) a mile from my friend's house.
I have the front and rear shocks set at the lowest setting...I think I will firm up the front. What y'all think?
Roger

Old 09-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Range Rover
Default crash stories

my front shocks are set to firmest position, for better handling, less squat in braking situations, and my rears are at the second hardest so i get a littly more traction on climbs and takeoff. but about 2 miles from the end of the trail my uncles odyssey quit and i had to tow it back to the trailers. we were going through when i came to a valley and at the bottom was full of water and on the climb out it was all rutted badly. I guess i picked the wrong line through cause i tried to get speed to clear the mud and get up the hill but my front right tire dropped into a rut then the front left started to pick up and come over, i jumped off the bike but i see it coming down on me, so im on my back trying to scramble away through the mud, luckily the quad missed my foot by about five inches, we just flipped it back over, pulled the handlebar back up and rode back with no problem

Old 09-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default crash stories

Once me and my friend went riding around a track that he had made in front of his house. It curved around a field and then went in to a ditch down by a big highway. Well we were racing around the track. He had a kx 125 and i had a 400 ex. We were racing and when we came to the part down by the rode there was a group of boyz down there hangin around. So when i got to the curve I punched the gas kinda showin off and hit the ditch and flew off into the road. I got skinned up pretty bad, boke my wrist. and almost got hit by a car. As for the four wheeler it got stuck in the dicth. They had a hard time trying to get it out. The handle bars were all mingled up and i broke the front axle.