Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Brake light not working...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light not working...

Hey guys, I was out riding last night and I noticed that when I would pull my brake the tail light wouldn't come on. However, when I used the foot brake it would. Also, the foot brake would just go straight to the floor like it wasn't even working (I know they suck really bad, but I thought I could at least feel it trying to work). Anyway, is there something that maybe came unhooked? It was dark out so I really didn't check anything out. And I was pulling that brake lever as hard as I could too. I bet this has something to do with why my start in gear hasn't been working too. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Got Milk!

One more thing, my spedometer light was also not on, but then I was thinking maybe that thing doesn't even have a light. Can someone let me know if their speedo has a light??? Thanks so much.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Catterman,

Does your brake light work when you use your foot brake? It did when I had trouble with my hand brake switch. I took the switch off and cleaned it and its connector and lubricated it with dielectric grease and have had no further trouble. The switch is located where the wires (not the hydrolic hose) come off the hand brake lever. It plugs into the wiring harness under the front plastic and I cleaned that connection and put that greae on there too. Salt/moist air corrodes things pretty fast.

Your speedometer should have a light. The light bulb slips into a rubber grommet underneath the speedometer. If you take the two pins off the underside of the speedometer to remove it and disconnect the cable you should see the grommet and its wire connector. I believe the bulb should say 12V1.7W on the side and has a flat part that plugs into the rubber grommet. Here again when I replaced that bulb last time I coated it with dielectric grease. Stuff makes a better connection and keeps it from corroding.

Too much salt air around here so I spent an afternoon and coated every connection from the front to the back of each of my machines. I have had no electrical problems so I am pretty sure it works.

Hope this helps
Swampy

Old 10-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Got Milk!

Thanks for the great responce Swampy, I was thinking about that, wondering if it was corroded. I do drive through a lot of salt water, and I keep my ATV parked outside (under one of those Arctic Cat covers) because I don't have a shed. I bet it sees a lot of moisture. I will check out those connections this weekend. Thanks again and I will let you know what I find.