Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 Power Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 Power Mods

Hey guys, i just got my new 650 this weekend. I am a cat mechanic, so i know quite a bit about them, but i want to hear some feedback on what power mods are worth the effort and money, and what is not. I know of the EPI springs, (pink and black), the dyno jet jet kit, the dynatek ingition module, and the hmf pipe. Of these, which ones are worth the effort. Also, if you know of any other effective mods, let me know.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 650 Power Mods

I got my 05 650 3 weeks ago and Love it. The only mod Iam doing is the dynatek cdi box which I will get in a few days. Ill let you know how it does.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Range Rover
Default 650 Power Mods

speaking of the hmf pipe, whats a good site that i can find it on. and what price should i be expecting (200-300 im guessing) im also getting the highlifter cdi box. Are the secondary springs worth it??

Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
ng
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

I've got the HL mod and like it alot.Does the jet kit help out much?

Old 10-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

I bought my 05 Aug 29 and just shy of 500 miles already. Did some mods over the last few weeks. Started of by checking belt adjustment, set it at 23mm (a little on the tight side, cherps a bit)

Stock tires, stock springs, stock CDI, 2wd on asphalt
-66 mph (GPS)
-Raising front end in low standing up only.
-Tires barely coming off the ground in high standing up.

Stock tire, stock springs, Dynatek CDI, 2wd on asphalt
-70 mph (GPS)
-Raising front end in high sitting down.

Mud Bugs 27x10x12 Front, 27x12x12 Rear, EPI Pink Primary and EPI Black Secodary, Dynatek CDI, 2wd on asphalt
-64 mph (GPS)
-Raising front end in high sitting down.

I'm very satisfied with it. Will keep carbs, air filter, plugs and exhaust stock for now. Dynatek CDI is definitly worth every penny.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

One of the cheapist improvements you can do is increase the size of your intake snorkel. You have carb bores of about 1 1/8" each, and your snorkel has an ID of about 1 5/8". Doing this will improve your mid-range power and improve your MPG. I went from 12 MPG to 18 MPG. Get yourself a radiator hose (#7905 from NAPA, others have problems finding this hose but have located one just like it) cut it to fit inside under the compartment, and then you'll need to rejet. The jets you'll need will depend on your elevation. This will make a BIG difference in the performance of your machine. This mod should put you back about $25.00. By doing this, I went from being imbarrased at ATV pulls, to winning them with this mod ONLY. Even using stock tires. Obviuosly other mods can only make it even better.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

I do all my driving in northern minnesota, which i figure to be pretty average elevation. Any idea on what to change the jets to?, And, can you explain the snorkel resizing better... do you have to modify the box where the bigger hose goes in?

Old 10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

How did you adjust the belt? Mine seems to chug a little bit on low end when taking off slow, maybe this is normal. Have 24 miles on mine now, and only had it up to 60mph, where my dad's 05, just like mine does 65 with 125 miles on it. Im hoping it is just break in. But now, my dad's belt is slipping something fierce, and i havne't been into the kawi clutches yet. I know there are shims involved, but if you could talk me through the process of adjusting belts, putting in the dynatek cdi, and springs, that would be awesome. (Yes i am a cat mechanic, but i have never been through school for it, and at our brand new dealership, nobody knows anymore than what i do. But i am learning, and am pretty mechanically enclined in anythign else, so this should be no challenge for me, once i know what to do.) Thanks a ton!

Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

Hey, if your a mechanic, you won't have any problems doing this. I'm in engineering and was able to handle it!

Check out Nyroc's ATV Info at (http://atv.dnsalias.com/tipview.cgi?dir=Prairie) and ATV Nation at (http://www.atvnation.com/prairietech.html). Scroll down the procedures and find the right one, it's not hard at all.

These procedures were done for a Kawasaky Prairie 650, but it applies to our ATV's also. I also got a 2004 service manual from my dealer for the proper belt and torque specs. As far as the engine and transmission, same as 2005. Belt deflection should be between 22mm and 27mm stated in the book but I would try to hit 24-25mm. In my opinion, the min value of 22-23mm is to tight and the max 26-27mm is to loose.

Same as you, I also noticed it starting to slip slowly, loosing top end speed, but mine started at about 300 miles. After adjusting it, everythigng came back to normal. Nevertheless, don't wait to long to re-adjust, last thing you want to do is smoke it. Slight slipping isn't too bad but burning the belt just kills it!

As far as the springs, might as well do them at the same time. The websites also show how it's done.

As far as the Dynatek CDI, unplug three wires from the stock CDI and plug in the high performance one. Make sure to add di-electric grease to seal the connections.

Good luck

Old 10-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 Power Mods

Thanks a lot for the links... I printed off like 40 pages of stuff. Can't wait to start tearing into my new baby. Haha. There goes warranty, but screw it, power is more important! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 650 Power Mods