Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

engine click/stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine click/stall

I started the cat up today and it seems to have a clicking sound around the engine. Every time this happens, it loses a bit of power for that brief instance. It's not constant, but more like every 5 seconds on a regular basis. Doesn't really affect the overall performance (and isn't noticable when riding at more than a gallop), but it obviously seems like an issue.

Any thoughts on this? The temp here is around 30 right now, but it should have had enough time to warm up. Almost seems like misfiring or something???

BTW...started to snow today and the plow doesn't get here until Monday. Sure hope it doesn't accumulate too much.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Fire that bad boy up in the dark and look for sparks. I suspect a ignition spark leak.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Seems like the click must really have something to do with the engine warming up. If I keep the choke on (which fortunately works now), there's no click/sputter. Once it's warmed up, it seems to go away completely.

Anyone know how long it take for a 650 to warm up? It's been in the 20-30's here lately. Today I rode the beast around and it seemed to take about a half hour before I could turn the choke off.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

FWIW - my 500's are cold blooded. I have to turn the idle up a couple of 1/2 turns when it starts to cool off in the 20's. Once warmed up - and yes - 10-15 minutes - I have to turn it back down again. The older 500 isn't as tight any longer and it doesn't need as much adjustment as the newer 500.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Is it possible, that what youre hearing is the carbs popping from running lean? If the idle mixture is lean, the carbs will pop while going throttle on. Does it happen while pressing the throttle?
If chokeing it, makes it go away, and if once its warm, it goes away..that could be it. You could try going 1/4 turn richer on the mixture screw, will should help the cold starting and should help get it warmer faster and let you come off choke faster.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

Seems to be primarily when pressing the throttle. Full choke takes it away.

Is it okay to leave the choke on while riding?

thx.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The choke is actually an enrichener. No air is being choked. There is a small jet, called a starter jet, which lets more gas into the carb, when the choke is on. So rather than reduceing air, it increases gas...and the result is much the same, a richer mixture. Running with the choke on, wont hurt anything, as long as you arent experienceing any symptoms of rich running. Such as smoke or burbling from the motor.
Heres an article which describes symptoms, of rich and lean.
symptoms
If the noise goes away with the choke being on, and it only happens with going on the throttle, then Id say its a lean pop. Going the 1/4 turn on the mixture screw, would be perferrable to leaving the choke on.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

go down to your local auto parts store, and buy some lifter noise reducer, what happens is that your oil lines have sludge in them, so in turn your going to have gumed up valve springs lifters and rocker, the sound is that its not getting oil enought and your hearing them click. put it in ride it for about 10 -15 minutes athen you have to change the oil, the oil will be thin but lokk for and sluggy deposits. mine had the smae problem and that fixed it right away.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

My 04 650 does the same thing. Seems to idle OK but as soon as I give it just a tiny bit of throttle, it cuts out for just a split second or so and runs rough until I give it more throttle. The dealer set the jetting for a ballpark altitude of 5,000 ft where I ride most often. I live at sea level. The question I have is should I adjust the pilot screw mixture for smooth off-idle running at sea level and if so, will this have much of an effect ( too rich ) at altitude ? To be honest, I really cant recall if I have this miss - hesitation when riding at altitude or not. I might be better off waiting until the next ride and pay closer attention to see if the condition is still there at altitude. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Forgot to mention in my last post that low, mid and full throttle carburation seems fine when riding at altitude. Just cant recall if miss is there just barely off of idle.

Quick Reply: engine click/stall