Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

moose plow

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moose plow

I've nearly finished installing my moose 60" county plow and am a bit confused. The plow has skids, but when the plow is angled where I think it's supposed to be, the skids are too angled to be used. Am I doing something wrong???

Old 11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default moose plow

Oh yeah...5mph max when using the snow plow??? Are they kidding? What's the point in having an angled county plow if you can't get enough speed to actually throw the snow?

Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Range Rover
Default moose plow

I have no experience with the moose plow, but i hit snow banks with my grizz doing 25mph easy// it busts the snow banks up, but covers u in snow

Old 11-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default moose plow

I have a 60inch Moose plow that i use on my 400 4x4 arctic cat, i use a 2000 pound warn winch to raise and lower it. It realy does work good for clearing snow, and its fun!! Its not the county plow, its just the regular one. Now for your question, there is little metal ring things that you can use to adjust the hieght of the skids, i think they are just big metal washers. Just ad some more washers to it, thats all i can realy think of.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default moose plow

Perhaps I'm just angling it wrong? There are two square pieces of metal used to angle the top of the plow forward and two bolt holes that they can be put into. I put them into the forward-most holes as shown in the installation diagram, but I assume you can put it into either. When I didn't have the angle adjusting metal pieces, it seemed fine. The issue isn't really that the skids won't hit the ground first ( though that's true too), but more that the blade is angled so far forward at the top that the skids would be at a 45 degree angle to the ground and therefore would actually grab onto the ground instead of sliding across.

How about more opinions on speed from those using snow plows? Anyone with any plows??? If so, how fast do you typically go? I can't imagine 5mph max, but probably not a great idea to go 50 either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Anyone with the county/state plows? Do they throw the snow well???

Old 11-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Range Rover
Default moose plow

i have the cycle country plow on my bigbear, and lile i said with my grizz, ill hit snow banks at 25mph to break it up, but when the snow is light, i will go as fast or slow as i feel like

Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default moose plow

I own the Moose 60" County plow. I lift and lower it with a Warn 2000 winch. It moves the snow really well.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default moose plow

Millsd:
I just assembled my Moose County plow. I used the back set of holes, not the front as shown in the diagram, and I have a decent forward slant, but the sliders are not as tilted as yours seem to be.

I also set the block to one step short of the minimum amount of space. Tall way up and down, and I needed to space out the left block with a washer as the plow itself was just barely touching the angle stop block.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Range Rover
Default moose plow

The 5mph maximum speed listed is more to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits then anything. Im sure on level hard (ashpalt) you could run your plow at 50mph and have a hoot...... the problem arises when you hit an obstruction or crack/lip/hole in the ground that you are plowing snow from. What do you think the consequneces of hitting a frozen ( to the ground) chunk of wood when plowing at 15mph would be. Ill tell ya if you havent figured it out. LOL>. Three things will happen.. 1) the atv will come to a sudden 'exciting' stop..... 2... You crack your ribs on the handle bars as you proceed to do a face plant on the ground, frozen ground I might add,in front of the ATV.. 3} after a quick and somewhat painful trip to the hospital to re-attach your seperated shoulder to your body ..... you ( and I dont mean YOU.. I mean some lawsuit happy yutz ) make a call to the local 'wrongful injury' lawyer... Its this last part that scares the manufactures, so they set the max plowing speed at 5mph because presumably at such a low speed you shouldnt be thrown from the atv if you hit an obstruction. Fair enough? Now I'm not familiar with your plow or how its supposed to be set up but with commercial highway snow plows ,which I'm familiar with' the skids ( shoes ) should not contact the ground when the plow is in the lowered postion. They are there to stop the plow from digging in if it hits something and trips the spring mechanisms, at no other time should the shoes be in contact with the ground.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Range Rover
Default moose plow

I've been plowing snow with an ATV now for 8 years and have had several little incidents with the plow and wheeler.I have hit several objects hidden in the snow going slow and going fast.Sometimes when you hit a solid object with the plow angled and the object hits the end of the plow you will do a 180.Sometimes you get a sore thigh,arms,wrist,ribs,ect......As long as you know the area that your plowing VERY well you should not have a problem.Have fun plowing!

Quick Reply: moose plow