Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 650 v2 best mods.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 650 v2 best mods.

Ok guys, I have had my V2 since late august now, and am very pleased with it over all. But now im wanting my power from it.. My girlfriend is getting me the highlifter module for christmas, then after that I will have my tax returns, and im thinking about spending a portion of that on mods for the fourwheeler. Approx 1200-1500$ I have a warn 3.0 winch on thier right now, and that is it (darn'd thing is bound up to, have to take it off and fix it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) My question is, what mods should I be looking at. Stipulations. Fourwheeler, needs to be able to run on 91 octane, must be reliable still, and if any exhaust is done, it must have a spark arrester for the trails I ride in wisconsin.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

No one has any advise for the money I have listed????

Old 11-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

pending if it is and 04 or 05 i think they fixed it for 05 but the dynatek cdi will get you about the same power as the highlifter module and take care of ovveride in reverse and limp mode but i haven't been on here for a while if you have an 05 and they fixed that the highlifter module works great and i know there is an exhaust mod for the 650 but i can't remember what the company was called the one guy left a thread on here a couple months or so ago sounds like a pretty sweet mod and with that kind of money you can probably go into the motor i dunno how much a kit would cost to boost it up to a 700 i am guessing it isn't very cheap

Old 11-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

If you own a 04 model, heres a couple of items you might enjoy doing.
<u>Tires/Rims</u>....Man, have you got alot of choices here. Some popluar ones are MudBugs, 589's, Mudlites. These are all pretty much good trail and mud tires. $600.00 roughly
<u>Clutch work</u>...Highly recomended to save your belt. Lots of combinations out there to choose from. If you stay with 27" tires or less, the EPI black secondary and the Prarie 700 stock primary spring work pretty good. If you want to go with larger tire, Red secondary and pink primary. You can also add different weights in the primary, but then you have a pretty high engagement RPM. Anywhere between $24.00 for just a spring to $200.00 for a complete kit.
<u>Module</u>...OK, your getting one, so that covers that.
<u>Carb work</u>.....This ones a real cheapie, but a big improvement. Your intake snorkel is only large enough to supply enough air for only one carb. Get yourself a radiator hose from NAPA (part # 7905). Cut it to fit under the "Glove Box" compartment. It will slip right on the air box with no modificatios. You'll go from 1 5/8" ID to 2 1/4" ID. You'll need to rejet your carbs to 140 main jets, and add one shim under each needle. I'm also from Wisconsin so these should work for you. You'll find directions on how to do this at Velocity Devices web site. Right around $25.00
<u>Exhaust</u>...There's a couple of pipes out, but not many. I also think you don't get that much improvement for your dollar, just a neater sound. $300.00

Well, there's a start. Have fun.

P.S. Check your PM

Old 12-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Trailblazer

Wouldn't it be better to get a pvc elbow and use that for a new snorkel instead of the radiator hose? That's what the Velocity Devices snorkel kit looks like.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

id go with some tires and clutch kit, u cant go wrong with that and then mabey some bumpers for the front and back.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Use whatever you want for the snorkel. I, just like the factory, prefer rubber. I think VD only used PVC because it was cheap and easy to get. Remember, your really after getting it opened up. The rubber hose mentioned will get you 2 1/4" ID, the PVC gets you 2" ID, I believe.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cFhDimebag
Wouldn't it be better to get a pvc elbow and use that for a new snorkel instead of the radiator hose? That's what the Velocity Devices snorkel kit looks like.
You can use either. We picked PVC since it was readily available, and lended itself to be easily extended for a true snorkel. The only problem with PVC is mounting it to the airbox. Our kit comes with special sealing tape that solves that problem. In addition, the kit includes new carb bowl screws (to replace those troublesome Philips headed ones that always strip). The price has been reduced for December on that kit as well as the modules (just in time for Christmas).

Whichever way you do it, the airbox opening on the 2004 AC650 won't handle more than the 2" PVC tube.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Diginit, You do realize that only one carb at a time is in use. With an alternate firing twin only one carb pulls air while the other is static as the second cylinder is on the exhaust stroke. So all you really need is big enough for one carb. In fact it could be and advantage as the air flow thru the intake would have a more constant speed.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

That would be the idea in theory, but once you factor in RPM's and airflow, that doesn't hold true.

If you take a V2, and pop off the airbox lid, and then blip the throttle, the engine will stumple and die (you can barely get 1/4 throttle). Now, re-jet, and the engine purrs (with perfect Air to Fuel ratio).

Opening the intake up gives the most (and cheapest) bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: 04 650 v2 best mods.