Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 doesn't want to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 doesn't want to start

I have a 2004 AC 650 and ever since the temps got down around the 30's it turns over very slow. I was going to buy the heavy duty battery, but the mechanic at gander mountain said it's a problem with my 4-wheeler and I should bring it in. He named off 4 different things it could be and said it could just be my battery(they might of just filled it and not charged it right at my dealership). I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the cold weather? And is there a way I can check if my battery is any good before I try to bring it to the dealership?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

take off all the tops of the battery and make sure they are all filled with acid or if they are a lil low you can use water to top them off but don't use tap water get water out of a ditch or melt snow or something. and mine seems to turn over a lil slower now that it has gotten colder but it isn't a lil small engine it is cranking over that 650 has alot of compression i see you live in minnesota as well so tomorrow when i get home from work i will see how it turns over for it has been sitting for a couple weeks but one thing that is majorly suggested is to keep it sheded for that will help alot for starting it keeping it out of the wind

Old 12-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like an obvious battery issue to me...get a charger with a meter on it if you don't already have one, you'll need it down the road anyway!

Old 12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

I brought it back to my dealer yesterday. They figured it was a bad battery, and it's still under warranty. Eventhough he was trying to tell me its only good until January.

Anybody else get the Extended Warranty offer from Arctic Cat in the mail? Are they sending it out to people that bought the 04 650 or everyone?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

cFhDimebag, I see youre from elk river, where do you go riding? Have you riden the ditches around there? Whenever i go by there, i notice there alot of 4 wheeler tracks in the ditches, but i never see anyone on them.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Trailblazer

I haven't rode the ditches yet. I am assuming you are talking about the tracks along Highway 169. I have spoken to a few people and they said that it's only ok to ride in the ditches during certain dates, but they didn't know which and I have never checked. I would like to ride them with my bike sometime though, looks like it could be fun. I usually go riding around Danbury, Wisconsin, or we have gone to Nemadji once and that was pretty cool. The trails were wide enough so you could slide around corners pretty good.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ive also seen tracks , going towards big lake, along hwy 10. looks like itd be fun, let me know if you want to ride the ditch sometime. Have you been to red top, by Isle? Thats a fairly close place to go, and if the back trail is open, its alot of fun.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Trailblazer

I've never been to red top either, but a guy at work has told me about it. He says it is pretty cool. Is it four wheelers only, or are dirt bikes allowed too?

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

According to this,redtop, it atv only. The very outside trail, if its wet, can be a real challange, even in 4wd. Its lots of fun.
Is the new battery working out better?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

They still haven't called me. I'll have to give them a ring and bug them. I WANT MY FOUR WHEELER!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 650 doesn't want to start