Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions about winch install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about winch install

I purchased this winch from CostCo last week and was wondering, do I need to install a solenoid with this one or can I just run it with as is?

Also anyone know if someone makes a mounting plate for this type of winch, it looks just like a superwinch 2000 lb. This is for a 2003 TRV 500. The standard AC mounting plate won't work for this winch.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I'm not positive about that winch, but as a rule the solenoid is there allowing you to use a low amperage on/off switch to provide power to the winch. Does not the standard Warn or AC mounting plate allow the winch to fit in behind the bumber? Or is it that the holes just don't match.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

"Does not the standard Warn or AC mounting plate allow the winch to fit in behind the bumber? Or is it that the holes just don't match. "

It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try...

The standard Warn/AC mounting plate allows the winch to be installed behind the plate with a fairlead in front of the plate. They acheive this by using a Warn winch which has no obstructed sides around the the spool. In other words there are 4 mounting points for the winch on each outside corner of the spool and nothing hindering your spool from unwinding in any direction.

The winch I bought for $60 CDN I might add), has a mounting plate with 2 mounting points intergrated into the winch but obly allows you to unwind the spool from 3 sides not all around. Unfortunately to mount the winch behind the plate would require that the winchs' mounting plate not be there at all and the mounting holes be on the outside of the spool not smack in the middle. This winch would mount perfectly on the front side of a mounting plate on the ATV, but that would result in a winch protruding the machine quite a bit.

What I do plan on building is something that looks like this:

...../
__/ This is a profile view(ignore the dots)

The winch would basically sit on the horizantal plate and the fairlead would be where the separation is. It should work, just need to fab it up.

Now the SuperWinchs I have seen are identical to the one I bought, but all the research shows that the 2003+ Arctic Cats come with a Warn winch not a Superwinch, thus no plate available.

phew....hope that u can understand this..

If you look at the Warn in photos and compare it to the one I bought you should be able to follow...look at item # 15 here

Old 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I see your problem, as I am using the Warn and know what you are talking about on there ability to mount in any angle. You did a great job by the way on the explanation . One thought! can you mount the winch on a piece of angle behind the plate that would set it at 90 deg. to the fairlead opening?

Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

My brother is coming over tonight...he has the same issue(same winch on a '03 AC 400) so we will look at it. I have come up with a couple of possibilities and will post back progress soon.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

Nektar,
I recently installed an AC Warn 2.5 on my 500. Looking at your winch and reading your excellent discription, your concerns are apparent. Have you considered cutting a hole in the solid side of your winch so you could use the std AC mounting plate and fairlead? It would seem if the hole was cut "with discretion," this would save you alot of time and effort and not compromise the intregrety and strength of the winch's pulling power, particularly when mounted to the AC mounting plate. What do you think?

If you look along the right side of your air box you'll see a two wire connector. This is your power - switch on - trip for the AC solenoid/relay. You can use the hand-held switch that came with your unit (the solenoid/relay is internal to the hand unit) or buy the AC unique wiring and solenoid. The AC solenoid/relay locates at the rear of the battery box (look and you'll see 2 pre drilled holes at the right rear). You'll need the solenoid, it's mounting bracket, and the light weight AC wiring harness. You could then modify and use the heavy wires that came with your winch from the winch to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the battery.

Certainly using the "stuff" that came with the winch is the most cost effective, but for a clean install with a handle bar switch, using the AC wiring and solenoid is the way to go. I'm assuming the wire harness and solenoid is available from your dealer - separately.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Jim

Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

My brother came up with a pretty good idea. I thought about cutting an opening in the winch plate...but I think we found a rather simple and effective solution that requires no cutting or hacking of any sort.

I will take some pics when it's all done to show it.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ponchoathome; I have installed one of these winches on my 2001 AC 250 and it works just fine. I did use a solenoid as I am electricly handy. I just recently sent another person a diagram and instructions on how I did it. I did install it behind the plate. If you would prefer there is an outfit selling this same winch under their brand name and I can give you their info for a plate made for this winch if you so desire.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

i also bought this same winch from costco and mounted it on a plate welded to a piece of 1 1/2 inch tubing.then welded a reciever hitch to the front of the bike.the winch sticks out in front of the bumper but that is not a big deal.also with this setup you could weld another reciever hitch to the back of the bike and if needbe pull the winch off of the front and put it on the rear for pulling backwards.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bear...I would appreciate anything you can send me.

Quick Reply: Questions about winch install