Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Our pal, Doug Meyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our pal, Doug Meyer

Any of you happen to catch last week's ATV Television show hosted by Doug Meyer? He was 'reviewing' a bunch of 500cc machines, starting off with an Arctic Cat. In all the time I've watched this show, he has NEVER had a good word to say about AC's. Never. And this was no exception. He slammed this unit in every catagory. I don't understand his total opposition to the brand. He bragged about the great Suzuki engine and tranny, but since they were used by AC, they'd somehow ruined the combination. He doesn't like the brakes (though I'm not a big fan of them either), the suspension, the weight, the steering, nothing.

The only other unit taking a major negative hit like this was the Bombardier. I don't remember which one he thought was worse, but to hear him talk, you'd think walking was preferred to riding either of these.

In contrast, I remember on one show last year he railed on that "Silly Transmission" that Honda had (their automatic). Everything was great except for that (and he really emphasized this point!) "SILLY TRANSMISSION". This year, the Honda automatic is all of a sudden the greatest transmission in the ATV marketplace. Why, you can't find anything better out there. C'mon Doug, isn't this a bit obvious? My guess is that Honda spends a lot more in advertising on your show than Arctic Cat. Or not. I just don't get it.

In his defense though (I almost hate to do it...), he wasn't too kind to Polaris either, though it was rated higher than AC or the Bomb.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

I saw the show. I was surprised by how he cut the AC to ribbons.
As far as the Honda transmission, wasn't he talking about the Rincon 650 having the silly automatic. I thought he has always liked the Rubicon's tranny. I could be wrong though.
He sounds like a broken record when he test's Polaris's, they all test the same.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

as long as i have watched that dillhole he has always hated arctic cat polaris and bombardier and he has loved kawasaki honda and yamaha and suzuki has always seemed to be in the middle and yeah he really tests them machines to test out the long travel suspension i mean come on if he drove more then 2 mph and actually tested them he might have a different attitude or better yet come up h ere and ride with us for a summer doug he might change his mind then

Old 12-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure which Honda he was 'reviewing' at the time he talked about "That Silly Transmission", but don't all Honda autos use the same tranny?

I like to watch the show for some of the trips they take or gear they test, but he just jacks my jaw with the way he totally 'disses' Arctic Cat. When my wife and I first bought ours I found the ATV-TV web site and he had an 'evaluation' of our exact units - the 04 400 4x4 IRS auto. It was worse then anything he's ever said on the air! I read that and thought "Oh my God, what have we done?" We'd only ridden them one time, at that time. Well, since then we've gotten used to his total anti-AC bias and pay no attention. But as far as I'm concerned, it taints his reviews of anything. There's just nothing out there that can be as bad as he paints the AC's (or the Bombs either!).

I've never watched his Sport ATV show or his 4 wheeler show, but I wonder if there's an automotive product out there that he hates as bad as AC ATV's.