Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat's don't like cold!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat's don't like cold!

Swampy, in looking closely at the back of my solar chargers I see that they are the "Harbor Freight" type, or at least they say Harbor Freight on them. Also, in reading the docs it also says it send a trickle charge as long as there is light hitting the panel. I certainly don't think there is any sweat of an 'overcharge' with these things.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: swampyjunior
Sorry Mr Tommy, I didn't see that. My eyes don't work as well as they used to. I have had good luck with the ones I bought from Harbor Freight. Not sure if the ones I got have a built in voltage regulator or not to keep from over charging. I know they make them with them, guess I will have to check mine out.

Maybe even get some for the ATV's.

Also, if anyone has to replace their battery, its my opinion that its a waste of money to purchase a sealed battery. They last just as long as a regular battery but cost way more $.

SJ
Agreed, the sealed batteries aren't worth the extra money.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrTommy
Swampy, in looking closely at the back of my solar chargers I see that they are the "Harbor Freight" type, or at least they say Harbor Freight on them. Also, in reading the docs it also says it send a trickle charge as long as there is light hitting the panel. I certainly don't think there is any sweat of an 'overcharge' with these things.

A very low amp trickle charge over a period of months with out any draw on the batteries can overcharge and slow "boil" the water away. You need to monitior the water level and voltage of the battery for about six weeks. If no water lose by then you should be OK. I put an unregulated trickle charger on a scooter we used at the races on winter and in the spring the battery was dry and no amount of water or charging helped. The unit charged at 100 milliamps or less, that's less than a 1/10 of an amp.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

what I have alwyas done for my motorcycle batteries is to use a christmas tree light timer set for 30 minutes and throw it out in the garage witha 2 amp trickle charger, never fried any batteries and seems to do the trick well, a short charge similar to starting the machine and just enough to keep it up to where it needs to be. And thanks bkcntyxplr for the idea of what to look for I will have to see tomorrow

Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pangborn83
what I have alwyas done for my motorcycle batteries is to use a christmas tree light timer set for 30 minutes and throw it out in the garage witha 2 amp trickle charger, never fried any batteries and seems to do the trick well, a short charge similar to starting the machine and just enough to keep it up to where it needs to be. And thanks bkcntyxplr for the idea of what to look for I will have to see tomorrow
Pangborn; Yeah, that would keep from over charging the battery and is probably easier on the battery than a trickle charger.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

Well, if all goes according to plan (and after all, doesn't everything...?), we'll finally dig the gate out and get the ATV's out for rides every 2-3 weeks. They'll get well charged then, and I guess we can regulate the charging by periodically covering and uncovering the panels. What do you think.

You're news is not good news, Bear. I was hoping this would be a mindless solution to the battery thing. I've got 225 watts worth of solar panels on the roof of my travel trailer but they pump power through a regulator and the batteries are fine (even though I periodically check the water in them too).

Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrTommy
Well, if all goes according to plan (and after all, doesn't everything...?), we'll finally dig the gate out and get the ATV's out for rides every 2-3 weeks. They'll get well charged then, and I guess we can regulate the charging by periodically covering and uncovering the panels. What do you think.

You're news is not good news, Bear. I was hoping this would be a mindless solution to the battery thing. I've got 225 watts worth of solar panels on the roof of my travel trailer but they pump power through a regulator and the batteries are fine (even though I periodically check the water in them too).
Mr; Well the regulator is the key. They keep the system from over charging the batteries. The covering the panels and uncovering will work but keep covered about double the uncovered time. 1 day uncovered, 2 days covered or 3 days uncovered and a week covered.

If I can't ride for a while I just go down and start them up and let them run for 10 to 15 minutes, then call it good for a couple more weeks.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

I gotta say that I have an Odyssey battery in my jet ski and it is the best 60 bucks I've spent on a battery ever. Not only can I mount it on any side, it basically never needs to be charged in the off season, never needs water, can stand -40* temps, and has waaaaay more CCA than a regular wet cell. It also comes with a 5 year warranty too. I'd recommend them.

EDIT: I just read that it can go as long 6 months of non use and still not need to be charged .

Old 01-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, there may be a new battery in my future after all. Though I just went out to check the condition of the hopefully saved battery after charging and it's holding steady at 12.68 volts. Right how it's just sitting in the garage and every time I think about it I check the voltage. So far, so good.

And Bear, you changed your avatar and I almost didn't recognize you...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

MrTommy; The new avatar was a present from one of the guys I ride with. And I am the old man of the group.

Quick Reply: Cat's don't like cold!