Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winch or no Winch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch or no Winch

yes the winch is hidden well up inside the front end of the atv which sometimes can be difficult to unlock it but it is nice not to have to worry bout it going through the back window of my truck and 2 things to remember with the ramsey with the remote control is A. it can be mighty easy to lose that lil remote control for i have lost alot of things out fourwheeling Watch, Sunglasses, and Towrope to name a few and B. I have found that if i am even doing small stuff like tightening up a fence i still like to be sitting on the atv when winching and if you are stuck it won't just drag you out without at least helping it a lil bit by spinning the tires even just idleling it is better to have something help it along rather then have 4 tires that act as plows dragging it down but just my opinion which really doesn't mean a whole heck of alot

Old 12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
yes the winch is hidden well up inside the front end of the atv which sometimes can be difficult to unlock it but it is nice not to have to worry bout it going through the back window of my truck and 2 things to remember with the ramsey with the remote control is A. it can be mighty easy to lose that lil remote control for i have lost alot of things out fourwheeling Watch, Sunglasses, and Towrope to name a few and B. I have found that if i am even doing small stuff like tightening up a fence i still like to be sitting on the atv when winching and if you are stuck it won't just drag you out without at least helping it a lil bit by spinning the tires even just idleling it is better to have something help it along rather then have 4 tires that act as plows dragging it down but just my opinion which really doesn't mean a whole heck of alot
Yeah and don't forget about needing to keep the throttle above idle so the charging system will keep the battery from going flat from the winchs current draw.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

Weez
Which front bumper do you have, Warn, AC etc..., if AC, the one with the grill or the tubular only? Good points on the switch loss and high rpms to maintain charge and help the winch. I might opt for the handlebar rocker.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Bear4570
The same winch kit works on all the full size Cat's. The new part number is #0436-700. The old number is 0436-364 was for the 1996 thru 2004 models. Now the new number covers 1996 thru 2005. Check this price for the old part number:

http://www.arcticcatpowersports.com/catalog/detail.pg?item_num=@2573
Thanks for the help Bear, I ordered the winch and deluxe brushguard bumper from them. Will post photos after installed so others can see them and how they look.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I had the 2500 warn on my 2004 TBX. It looked good and it worked fine but was a little light unless you unspooled all the cable (by doing this it gears the winch down because the pulley diameter is smaller). Of course I was up to the headlights and hung up in some slushy wet snow on the edge of a slough. I would get a ****** block just in case.

The only difference on my 2005 TBX is that the lock/unlock lever is easier to get to because the winch is a little more out in the open with the new front end design.

Good luck with the install!

Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider

bear has a very excellent point about the rpm's to keep the battery charged as well if used in excess for like pulling up alot of fence posts and i got the regular arctic cat front bumber and well i took it off my 2003 500 and put it on my 04 650 and the darn thing is all scratched and i had to reweld it in 3 differnt places but i am a lil tougher on it then the average person and my 03 and 04 never experienced any problems in the front end and my 02 which i had no front end protection i am guessing i spent about 150 on new plastic for the front end and lights so it pays for itself and protects alot

Old 01-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bear - do I remember you having some off-brand low priced winch on your quad?
I'm interested as I have a couple of machines without winches and think they might
be handy only or rare occasion. But a cheap wench is better than no wench at all - right?

Old 01-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Hey Bear - do I remember you having some off-brand low priced winch on your quad?
I'm interested as I have a couple of machines without winches and think they might
be handy only or rare occasion. But a cheap wench is better than no wench at all - right?
"Cheap wench...." that kinda of thing will get you in trouble. Yeah, the one on my 250 is the Chicago Electric one from Harbor Freight. I found it on sale for $49.99. Here it is at regular price.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...displayItem.do

I use Arctic Cats mount kit and did a minor mod to the winch to make it fit. It works great, I only used it once for me being stupid, you know; if I can only back up another inch, oops! 6 inches and you are high centered. But have pulled my buddies out about 20 times. The is a mount kit available for that winch from one of the after market places, as they sell the same winch under their brand name. I'd have to look it up though.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Bear4570
..... a cheap wench is better than no wench at all/Q]

"Cheap wench...." that kinda of thing will get you in trouble....
Your link is not good - but I found the wench (get it wench vs. winch) on their web page - but no prices?
Its about a 40 mile drive to their store - do you recall the non-sale price?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

[Q

Your link is not good - but I found the wench (get it wench vs. winch) on their web page - but no prices?
Its about a 40 mile drive to their store - do you recall the non-sale price?

Thanks
If my memory serves and this is since last thursday mind you when I was in the local Harbor Freight the regular price is like $99.99 but the were on sale for $49.99 when I was there. That's what I got mine for when I bought it on sale many moons ago. I don't know about your store, but my local store will honor the price even from the internet if you bring in a printout of the coupon. I just went to www.harborfreight .com and put in 90282 into the number search and it came up with a price of $49.99 at this link:

http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp

Quick Reply: Winch or no Winch