Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 gas in oil

The other day i was out ice fishing over night, and i started my 2005 650 and left it chug for probably a half an hour with the choke wide open. It never loaded up and died, it just simply chugged along like it always does when it is cold. Then i road it off of the lake, and then road it some today and there is a huge puddle of oil that drained out of the air box. Upon further inspection, i determined that there was gas in the oil. Luckily i only have ran the machine a few miles before i noticed this. I was wondering if leaving the choke on like that can cause that much gas to enter the oil to over fill the oil, or if i have bigger problems. I would like to think that it just loaded up, and that is the end of my problems, but iam not sure. Let me know any insight you fellas might have. Also, i just put in my diamond g performance module last night. Its too icy out to tell the difference in power, but the throttle response is noticably better.

Old 12-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 650 gas in oil

If there is fuel in the crankcase, then it is leaking in thru the carb when the engine is off ir thru a ruptured dyaphragm in the fuel pump. The pump has to be a pulse pump, the electric can't. The fuel causes the crankcase to be over full and the engine will pump the oil into the airbox.

Old 12-26-2004, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 gas in oil

So you are saying that running the wheeler with the choke on fully for 20 to 30 minutes will not load the crank case up with gas? I thought that it would choke the engine out first, but i guess two cylinders... maybe one is enough to limp it along as it idles.?

Old 12-26-2004, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 gas in oil

My 650 started leaking oil today.....I am also having choke problems, trying a new dealer who says he may have to replace the carbs. When they get it fixed I think I am going to sell it. Very capable atv when it's running OK.

Old 12-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 gas in oil

No kidding. Plenty of power to go... when it goes. Ive only got 63 miles on mine, and my dad has 160 on his, which is identical to mine. They have both been nothing but problems since we got them. First clutch, then chokes, now this stuff. What a joke. The worst part is, cat's customer service is terrible. I can't get parts, everything is on back order. The other worst part is, im a cat mechanic at a cat dealership! I want to know more about this new polaris 800,maybe a trade is in the NEAR future. Know anythign about them?

Old 12-26-2004, 04:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 gas in oil

That's what I am looking at also....I have a 700, very few problems over the years. The 650 is a better mudder than my 700 but it ends there. I use my atv's for forestry work, this thing is costing me way too much.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 gas in oil

the 800 polaris is just a glorified 700 they took the same motor boared it out put larger pistons in it and the cylinder walls are paper thin and they are having major overheating problems with them and burning them down (the testers) the 800 i believe is actually a 760 and the dual exhaust is just the pipe y'd off to 2 mufflers from what i have heard from the factory the horsepower isn't that much more then the 700 and they said to go with the 600 for it has about the same as the 700 just not quite as much on top end. and sounds like your float is sticking i got an old suzuki fourwheeler that the float sticks in the carb and the crank fills up with gas just by sitting so i have to shut the gas off of it everytime i get done driving it i did try to fix it many times but i believe the carb is shot. and if you guys are gonna go away from the cat may i suggest the kawi brute force or the yami grizzley polaris machines are very high maintanance and hard to work on well the grizz is very hard to work on to but still better then the polaris

Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 gas in oil

I have had a griz........did not like at all......too many front end problems....couldn't give me one......wouldn't try a kaw after this green one. If you want reliability get a Honda.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 gas in oil

Originally posted by: weez440
the 800 polaris is just a glorified 700 they took the same motor boared it out put larger pistons in it and the cylinder walls are paper thin and they are having major overheating problems with them and burning them down (the testers) the 800 i believe is actually a 760 and the dual exhaust is just the pipe y'd off to 2 mufflers from what i have heard from the factory the horsepower isn't that much more then the 700 and they said to go with the 600 for it has about the same as the 700 just not quite as much on top end. and sounds like your float is sticking i got an old suzuki fourwheeler that the float sticks in the carb and the crank fills up with gas just by sitting so i have to shut the gas off of it everytime i get done driving it i did try to fix it many times but i believe the carb is shot. and if you guys are gonna go away from the cat may i suggest the kawi brute force or the yami grizzley polaris machines are very high maintanance and hard to work on well the grizz is very hard to work on to but still better then the polaris
Weez you need to sharpen up your research, the 800 is not a bored 700. the bore is the same on both engines. It's the stroke that is different, much longer on the 800.....

Old 12-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default 650 gas in oil

i was told by all the polaris guys that it was just bored out 700 and these are the guys who build them and all the info they have ever given me has been right on the money