Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Sell me on a Arctic Cat 650 V2 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell me on a Arctic Cat 650 V2 !!!

I'd like to hear some feedback on the new V2 that just came out. I am a current owner of a Grizz 660 and I'm tired of axles breaking and other problems. I have been doing lots of research on the type of ATV that fits me and the V2 seems to look pretty good. It does weigh a bit more than I'd like but I guess it would just pull that much better. And from what I hear AC have good customer service too right?

Old 02-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

You want the 2005 650 V2. It has more suspension travel then your gizz, 10", bigger and more usefull racks, MRP, with a higher capacity 300lbs total, little better ground clearance at 13", the 2" receiver hitch is awesome, and you are supporting a Minnesota company. Customer service is good with my experience, however I am sure they have their bad apples too!

Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

i must have done a years worth of looking around and waiting for new models to come out before i decided on the 650. The AC is a bit slower than the grizz, ATV Action clocked the AC at 8.3sec and the grizz at 7.9sec (what distance they dont say, but those are direct times from them) But they also did a drag race while towing an 800 pound trailer and the AC was the fastest of the group at 3.85 and the grizz at 3.94. (these numbers are taken directly from ATV Action, they were testing all the big bore quads- AC650, Grizz660, Rincon, Polaris700, Prarie700 etc..)
The Ac will feel more stable in off camber situations due to being slightly heavier and wider than your grizz. And i believe AC has the best terrain conquering ability, gives you the most g.c. suspension travel and 4x4 flexibility.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'm surprised that the Grizz beat the AC in the drag, I thought the Kawi motor was quick. But I guess the added weight falls into play. My Grizz pulls alright but I think should pull better for a 660. Thats where I wouldn't mind a little more weight. The Grizz also isn't very stable when pulling either, its kinda wallowy. But I'm pulling about 2,500+ of wood. Has anyone had any broken axle problems? I have now broke all 4 of mine, all at different times of course. Now its sits in the basement, and it can stay there for all I care. What would make my day is if AC would put the 700 in that chassis. That would probably be the perfect ATV.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Unlike some, I've never had any bad luck with my 660. Got lucky I guess. I've owned AC before and liked them a lot. If I didn't have the Grizzly, I'd probably have a V2, but having driven one at a dealership, I still wouldn't trade my 3 year old Yamaha straight across for one. AC still suffers from poor steering even after all these years. Granted the 04 models I drove were a ton better than my 99, they still have an awkward handlebar bend, and very gushy steering.

I'd still take the V2 over most everything else depending on the price. If it were as high priced as King Quads and Brute's, I'd probably switch to another brand once again.

I think AC has had problems with breaking axles as well though. But I'd rather have broken axles than a honda with no locker or disc brakes (yes, at all 4 wheels please).

Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

the only time ive heard people breaking axles on here was because they were either running larger aftermarket tires and power mods while locked. the only other time i remember was b/c they were lemons, turns out the steel they used for the axles was bad, AC replaced these and havent had problems since. Personally i love my machine, it was able to pull 500 pounds of firewood at a time in a homemade sled out of a swamp that a backhoe wasnt able to.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Andy unfortunely I own a 03, which from what I hear is the bad year for the axles. Your 02 may not have that problem. And I might not either since I will be changing my last factory axle. The front two I broke were most likely the larger tires and the fact I had it in diff lock, it flat out snap e'm like a twig. The back two boggles me, I was just casually driving.

I really want to drive the V2 first to see how it fits me. I would be great if it feels like a Grizz with 2 cylinders. The only other choice would be the Kawi 700, and the Brute Force is just out of the question. I have heard nothing but problems about them. And it wouldn't do me any good when it comes to pulling. Too much power and not enough weight. I had considerd a Rincon, but Honda needs to do some more homework on the tranny and a little more power output.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

the only other quads out there that i would consider buying is either the kawa prarie 700 or twin peaks (exact same quad, just depends on what color u want) but u have to remember those are solid axle quads, and a big difference from your grizz. the prarie has won several quad of the year awards until the AC stole 2004-2005 awards. The honda wont be able to do the same things your grizz or the AC can do for sure, its an excellent trail quad, but when it comes time to cross something nasty, its not what u want to be on. The only other logical choice is a polaris. **Saying this because i have ridden several polarises, have experience** thats my disclaimer, personally i would never buy a polaris unless i would get it for a steal, they have more than their share of problems, and setbacks. they arent a bad quad but i think there are better out there.\
Save yourself some time and get the AC, but make sure you check around, by now all the bugs have been worked out of the 05' models cause theyve been out, but ask the dealer and everything. its a great quad.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The King Quad looks really good to me, but christ almighty these things are getting expensive anymore. $6400 was ridiculous I thought when I bought my last quad, and I doubt I ever pay over $6500 for a quad in the future regardless of what is available then.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the AC 650 turn hard I wonder why my AC 400 turn really easy other than that Ill bet its a climber. Arctic Cat needs to fix that problem the one I test drove would wear you down after a long ride.

1999 Power stroke duelly
2001 Arctic Cat 400 semi independent suspention
2003 Polaris 700

Quick Reply: Sell me on a Arctic Cat 650 V2 !!!