Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 400 Auto Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 400 Auto Engine Problem

Does sound like an oil problem. When you changed the oil last time did you remove the plate that your drain plug screws into and clean the oil pump pick-up screen? If not that could cause low oil flow from the pump and damage to the piston.

Either that, or something let go. Wrist pin, etc.

I use nothing but AC oil filters (in the synthetic oil change kits) and I have found in one of my machines the last oil change some paper fibers stuck in that screen. They could only have come from the oil filter.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about you ride.

SJ

Old 02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a problem that should be covered. Oil will be the issue or lack ther of. You should speak to Arctic Cat directly if dealer says not covered.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well got a call from the dealer today. The ATV is done. They said every thing was covered but I have to pay the $50.00 deductable. They said the clutch was bad also? I did not get into the details over the phone. I will post tuesday what the dealer did and what happened. Talk to you later.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: kbplaza
Well got a call from the dealer today. The ATV is done. They said every thing was covered but I have to pay the $50.00 deductable. They said the clutch was bad also? I did not get into the details over the phone. I will post tuesday what the dealer did and what happened. Talk to you later.
Today is wednesday so fill us in already!! lol

Old 02-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well when I picked up the ATV the dealer was swamped with costomers and he did not say much. They told me not to worry about the co-pay for the extended warrante and had one of his workers load it on my tailer for me. I do know they also had to replace my clutch?? I could not take to the owner at that time. Im going by there this morning to find out what they did and what happened to it. They never even gave me a bill or work order ticket? Im not complaining but I just want to know for peace of mind. I will fill you in more if they say anything.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Definately find out what the problem was, but make SURE to get something in writing outlining what was done. If all is well and you never have another problem, no biggie. If you continue to have trouble, or something arises in the future you'll have no way to prove it was an issue in the past. I don't know your dealer from a hole in the wall, but I wouldn't accept "don't worry about the co-pay" and no paperwork documentation from a friend or relative....

MB

Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I went to the dealer today to see what they did. Well from reading this post you know I needed a new cylender and piston. They did not have to replace the whole clutch. They replaced the one-way bearing on that the clutch ***. rides on. They said it was all chewed up and not in to good of condition. To me this would pop up a warning sign that something might be out of balance internally? When they told me that I could not believe it. I know exactly what bearing they are talking about and I have not a clue what would chew it up. They were even clue-less.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

MBullism I have to be careful with my dealer. He has always hooked me up. I once bought a used sled from him that was amost 4 years old and after riding it for 2 months I fried the engine. They got it waranted with two new cylenders pistons and all labor. They also know that im looking to buy a new sled soon. I know I should get the work order just for my records.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds to me like the found something that was AC's or the dealers problem and they are down playing it.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

Bear I'm getting a little nervous reading allot of posts that arctic cat does not to stand behind their 2 yr warrenty. I get the feeling that you were either employed or once was employed by them you have a great deal of exp. w\Ac I just bought one and I'm getting a little nervous hearing how ac wants to back out of their obligation to support their warrenty. is that true?

Quick Reply: 2004 400 Auto Engine Problem