Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Serious Arctic Cat Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Arctic Cat Troubles

I am trying to help a friend get his 2003 Arctic Cat 250 2 wd running again. It sat up for a long time and would not crank. First he tried to crank it and it wouldn't fire unless he sprayed starting fluid into the breather. It would fire then die. The battery ran down and while attempting to jump it off he shorted it out, burning all the ground wires. I got it at this point, disassembled the carb, soaked it and rewired the burnt wires. When I put it back together I could get it to crank, mostly idle, but as it would warm up it would foul the plug and die. After this I couldn't restart it. It is getting fire to the plug ,it does look a little weak orange in color, and it has compression. After several weeks of this I was told by my friend that he had took the top off the carb and removed the spring and needle. Now I'm not sure what is wrong. He could have reassembled the carb wrong (I put it back the way I found it), I could still have some blocked passages or the ignition system could have been damaged by the shorting. Can anybody tell me , or send a picture of how the needle, spacer and spring assemble in the top of this carb? Or how to check the ignition components, I have a digital volt meter. I am convinced that it is a fuel problem but I have been wrong before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: defektive
I am trying to help a friend get his 2003 Arctic Cat 250 2 wd running again. It sat up for a long time and would not crank. First he tried to crank it and it wouldn't fire unless he sprayed starting fluid into the breather. It would fire then die. The battery ran down and while attempting to jump it off he shorted it out, burning all the ground wires. I got it at this point, disassembled the carb, soaked it and rewired the burnt wires. When I put it back together I could get it to crank, mostly idle, but as it would warm up it would foul the plug and die. After this I couldn't restart it. It is getting fire to the plug ,it does look a little weak orange in color, and it has compression. After several weeks of this I was told by my friend that he had took the top off the carb and removed the spring and needle. Now I'm not sure what is wrong. He could have reassembled the carb wrong (I put it back the way I found it), I could still have some blocked passages or the ignition system could have been damaged by the shorting. Can anybody tell me , or send a picture of how the needle, spacer and spring assemble in the top of this carb? Or how to check the ignition components, I have a digital volt meter. I am convinced that it is a fuel problem but I have been wrong before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

First off you handle makes you sound like a troll and since you signed up today. Second off neither one of you should ever touch a quad again as you both are not smart enough to ride one much less work on one.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Welcome! I am sure bear was just being funny... I say you should just take it in. Sounds like it would be a lot simpler... Or, go to ebay and buy the service manual on a CD-ROM and check it out, they work great. Good luck!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Catterman, The owner admits to removing the spring and needle from the slide. My god, no wonder it runs rich, it has to.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Catterman, The owner admits to removing the spring and needle from the slide. My god, no wonder it runs rich, it has to.
To be honest, my short attention span doesn't allow me to pay full attention to long post; I missed that part... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

The spring was reinstalled by the owner. I'm not sure he put it back like he found it. I have had no experience with Arctic Cats. I will check e-bay thanks Catterman. Bear try cutting the prozacs in half, it might help.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

The spring was reinstalled by the owner. I'm not sure he put it back like he found it. I have had no experience with Arctic Cats. I will check e-bay thanks Catterman. Bear try cutting the prozacs in half, it might help.
Agreed, there's no need to be ignorant on here. Some people will never reach the lofty knowledge or experience level of Bear. He's a master of all things mechanical, ask him, he'll tell you. If you can't help, or offer encouragement to learn, don't post, simple concept.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A guys first post calling himself defektive (defective) for gods sake. Tells you he and his buddy cant make it run, then turn around and tell you that one of the removed parts from the carb and they might have been reinstalled. I sorry but are you guys that naive? Then he has ***** enough to tell me to back off on the prozac.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hey catterman, did you end up getting the manual on ebay?

Old 02-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets cool it on the wise cracks.

Quick Reply: Serious Arctic Cat Troubles