Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Arctic Cat 650 V Twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Arctic Cat 650 V Twin

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the belt override switch on there 650 V Twin. If so could you give me some imput?

Old 02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

You need to be more specific on the problem your experiencing. I've been keeping an eye on half a dozen different web sites, and with the exception of "The Dreaded Limp Mode" problem, I can't recall anybody wondering about a belt over ride switch. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of a "belt over ride" switch. If your refering to the "belt trip switch" inside the belt cover, thats a different story, but as I said, we need more info on your problem.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is the belt trip switch. It goes off the belt light comes on and you can only go about 10-11 mph. This is the second time this has happened in 450 miles. Why does it keep going off ???

Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds to me like your experiencing "The Limp Mode" nemises. There are two possible things that could be happening.
1. Your belt is really loose, and when it's flopping around, it's tripping the switch. I really don't think this is the problem though,because if it's that loose, you'd be experience poor performance issues along with it. The only other possibility would be if you trashed your belt and it's fraying. Then maybe a strand from your belt is tripping the switch. Reguardless, to be sure, take your belt cover off and check the condition of your belt. While your at it, check out the tension of your belt. This is probably the most crucial thing on these Cats. Factory specs say belt deflection should be between .87" to 1.2". Set it on the tight side, .87".
2. Your just suffering from The Limp Mode problem. I'll bet you don't have the RF Filter installed on your machine. Check with your dealer on the RF Filter, you should beable to get it for free. I got mine and put it on myself. Took a whole 10 minutes to install. It just plugs into the belt switch, and it helps controll the small voltage spikes that they feel is causing the activaction of the Limp Mode. So far, it seems to be solving the problem. I haven't heard of anybody experiencing this problem anymore, once the filters been installed.
Anyway, how have you been fixing this problem so far, just reseting it with the jumper plug? If thats been taking care of it, I'd say your only suffering with the Limp Mode problem.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

The first time it happened my 1st service was due, So i brought it to the dealer and they reset it for me. What does the (RF) stand for the filter that you are talking about?

Old 02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

I can't tell you what the two letters stand for, but I'll tell what what you need to know. Apparently, the belt switch circuit is getting voltage spikes from somewhere, and the engine computer is picking these up, and for some reason, it accuates the "Limp Mode". The Limp Mode is a safty device that, if you start shredding a belt, it will only let you go about 5 MPH. When you bought your machine, the dealer should have gave you a little black plug, i.e. the"Reset Plug". What you do is this, down by the front top of the belt cover, you'll find two plastic connecter plugs, right around the switch thats sticking out of the cover. One has 4 wires in it, the other has 2 wires. You need to turn off the key, disconnect both these plugs, and then take your Resest Plug, and plug it into the corresponding connector. Turn your key on, but don't start it. The belt light on the insturment pod will flash rapidly for about 5 seconds, then flash slowly. Once it's flashing slowly, turn off the key, remove your Reset Plug, and reconnect all the plugs back up, and your good to go. You just reset your belt switch.
Now, for the RF Filter. Get ahold of your dealer, and tell him you want the Filter. He should give one to you for free. If you choose to install it, it's very easy, it comes with directions. All you need to do is, disconnect the previous mentioned 2 wire connector. The Filter will come wired up to match these connectors. Plug the connectors from the Filter to the corresponding connectors. Basically, your just putting this Filter between the harness and the switch. Then you'll have just a ground wire to attatch to a ground. The kit comes with a bolt and it tells you where on the engine to install this ground. Once you have all the wiring done, take the cable tie thats also supplied, and tie off the Filter to the factory wiring harness, and your done. Your Limp Mode problems are over. The Filter is absorbing the voltage spikes so it won't trip the Limp Mode.