Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cat 400 Horse power questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 PM
M55
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cat 400 Horse power questions

I have a 04 Artic Cat 400 4x4 and it seems to be a little gutless. The shop I bought it from says that is just the way they are, so they are not much help there. I was wondering what modifications I should do do start with, it is completly stock. The only problem is my Dad doesnt want me spending much money on mods. What kind of air box mods, and exhaust mods can I do to help. I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Range Rover

Hey, M55...

I see it's an '04. How many miles on this gutless wonder? The general concensus is that they usually "wake up" a bit after a couple hundred miles or so (2-300), and my brother in law realized this in his '03... after things wore in and loosened up he says it's a new bike. I'm afraid I can't be much help in the mod department, but if you've got low miles yet, the cheapest mod might be mileage [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

get a slip on pipe, K&N or twin air filter and a good jet kit, best kit I have seen for the money is from "jetsrus" com

Old 03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Just get more miles on that thing. I though mine was gutless too, now after 500+ miles it is perfect. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zippy
get a slip on pipe, K&N or twin air filter and a good jet kit, best kit I have seen for the money is from "jetsrus" com
The problem with cheap slip on exhaust modificationw is that they just create more noise that is often missinterpreted as having more power.

Around here the complaints of ATV noise is playing a significant role in the systematic closure of riding areas. County by county the anti-atv groups are making it illegal to ride in the road ditches, many forests – and in some areas – even on private property. Claiming unnecessary nuisance noise we are loosing the battles one after another after another in state forests and anywhere near residential areas.

Modifying exhaust systems by riders outside of a competition is contributing to the loss of riding opportunities that thousands of us are fighting with money and time off from work to protect. The camcorder recordings of ATVs and their noise is difficult evidence to argue against.

The question to ask yourself is simple. With mod’ing your exhaust for some minimal performance increase - Are you being part of the problem or are you being part of the solution?

If we are going to protect our riding oppertunities we have to be better than back woods rebels without of clue and start policeing our own to protect our priviledge to ride on public property.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
M55
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help. i've heard that AC's are late bloomers but she's got over 1600 miles on it. SOooo, if you know of any other mods lets hear them! thanks

Old 03-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is it an auto or a manual?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 PM
M55
Weekend Warrior

Its an Automatic

Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: M55
Its an Automatic
After riding both auto and manual bikes. I determined that the autos were robbing the bike of several HP. Two of the guys I ride with regularly have 400 autos and neither one will even come close to my manual in acceleration or top speed. I can even out accelerate the 2 Grizzlies I ride with because of being able to choose the gear I want to be in for acceleration and not have to live with the compromise setup the auto has. The only 400 auto I came up against that comes even close had played with changing his springs. It made a major difference but his fuel economy was down from what the other autos were getting. I don't know what springs he used and I don't see him often, but I'm sure one manufactures of the spring kits wouuld steer you right. BTW neither of the stock 400's gets as good a fuel economy as I do and from what the spring kit guy said his is even worse. Then again you pays if you wnt to play. The spring kits are pretty cheap too.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can out accelerate a grizzly?

My cousin's 454 manual can out accelerate my Grizzly due to being able to select his gears. But only for like the first 10-15 feet. I probably beat him by 30-40 yards in 100 yard drag.

But I'm with you on the auto's robbing the power. I guarantee my 660 would be a lot more versatile with a manual transmission. Seems like its affected by larger tires more than my manual shift 500 AC was.

Quick Reply: Artic Cat 400 Horse power questions