Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat vs Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arctic Cat vs Honda

A friend of mine is looking at the AC 500 auto and a Rubicon. He is asking me for help so he can decide. Power is not the issue and neither is the "locking front diff". He really like the looks of the AC and the lime green color and the racks. Those have to be the greatest racks of all.

Don't want to start a war or bashing. Are there any problems with AC ATVs? Anything he should be aware of??

Why did you pick 500 auto??

Thanks

Had to edit, he is looking at the 500 auto, not the 650, sorry for the mistake.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not going to be very accepted here, but I have an 04' Rubicon, and a 05 AC 500 manual. I love both of them, but if I were buying an auto, and the diff lock didn't matter, it would be the Rubicon. I personally hate the belt drive auto's, and will try to always stay clear of them. Honda's Hondamatic transmission is the toughest, and lowest maintenance automatic tranny on the market today, and there is no belt to worry about. It has the high/lo range, and can be in ESP for manual shifting or auto.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CatWithClaws
I know this is not going to be very accepted here, but I have an 04' Rubicon, and a 05 AC 500 manual. I love both of them, but if I were buying an auto, and the diff lock didn't matter, it would be the Rubicon. I personally hate the belt drive auto's, and will try to always stay clear of them. Honda's Hondamatic transmission is the toughest, and lowest maintenance automatic tranny on the market today, and there is no belt to worry about. It has the high/lo range, and can be in ESP for manual shifting or auto.

Since you have a manual CAt, I assume you've never tried the auto version. As for the belt drive, the Cat Duramatic is quite possibly the best Auto on the market today. You never hear of issues or problems with them. This is because the belt is always tight, they use an internal wet clutch to engage the belt drive. Simple and effective. Cars are starting to go this route, and it's been used in industry for decades. If you go over to the Honda forum, you'll find that the Honda Auto's aren't as bulletproof as you think they are. I would rather replace a belt than a torque convertor.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Specta, Cat's 500 is IMO the best they have. They have ZERO problems and have a great ride, best ground clearance, most suspension travel, and best rack capacity. It is going to be my next machine. My dad has a 2000 500 auto and has only done maintenance to it, and that thing is solid. I can't comment on the Honda, as I haven't spent much time on one. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Since you have a manual CAt, I assume you've never tried the auto version.

Actually, I have. A buddy has an 04' 650. He's had one problem after another with the belt drive system.

If you go over to the Honda forum, you'll find that the Honda Auto's aren't as bulletproof as you think they are. I would rather replace a belt than a torque convertor.
The Honda Rubicon doesn't have a torgue converter. That's a Rincon. The two bikes have totally different tranny's.

Let's face it. Get a little water on the belt, and you go nowhere. With the Rubicon, you will get home.
As far as which one is best is really a matter of opinion, and depends on the type of riding you do.
I ride with several other Rubicons, 300's, and one AC 650. I have seen all these bikes put through the ringer, and each of these Rubicons have faired better than the 650 because of issues with the belt drive.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

CatWithClaws, the AC 650 uses a Kawasaki belt, not the genuine AC belt. That is why it has had the belt issues. The 500 is fully sealed, and it is very, very rare that one will get wet. I have never seen it happen. It is solid.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

The 500 is fully sealed, and it is very, very rare that one will get wet. I have never seen it happen. It is solid.
Sorry, I didn't know they were different.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I do believe doing some homework and gathering the facts enables you to make a better decision.

Bluethumb, thanks. I forgot how the Cats clutch & belt is set up, better than the others IMO. Thanks.

The big things that stick out to me is the HUGE gas tank and he said it has quite a bit of storage in place of the tank. He is looking at an 05.

What kind of gas mileage do the AC 500 Autos get?? If the tank holds 6.5 gallons, how far are you going??

How well does the "engine braking" work?

I think my friend is leaning towards the AC. I personally would buy another Rubicon, I have been 100% satisfied. I do want to provide my friend with as much positive info as I can. I don't think there are any "bad" ATVs today. I told him what I thought was most important was to sit on as many different ones as he can and get the one that "feels right".

Thanks again

Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

VALUE. Wit the AC you get radial tires, stainless steel braided brake lines, disc brakes, one of the best seats in the industry, MRP racks, 10" of suspension travel, 6.5 gallong fuel tank, liquid cooled motor, and the list goes on and on. I just think Honda keeps offering the same 1995 machine with new plastic and expects the consumer to buy because of their name. I think it is pathetic for a company to build some of the best sport machines out there and not put that same technology into their utility quads. I want a strong machine that can handle extreme riding from mud to rocks, from the desert floor to the mountain tops. AC has this capability Honda doesn't.
I just don't see or hear that many people coming in saying they burned the belt. I mean it used to happen before the machines had low range but now burnt belts are almost a thing of the past. Generally burnt belts are from the snowmobile industry where the machines were heavy and the friction on the snow was great. With quads there isn't that much friction created to get them going since wheels tend to roll easily. For the Honda the ESP has proven to be somewhat problematic and the automotive type transmission is sluggish when getting on and off the throttle. I tends to get confused as to which gear it ought to be in.

I ride with a lot of different machines and we all make it to the same destination. so it comes down to ride comfort and the features you or your friend want on a quad. Personally I'll take an AC until Honda gets ride of those dang drum brakes and puts stainless steel braided brake lines on.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with the Honda guy up at the top. The Rubicon has the best automatic transmission you can get in a quad period. Better by far than all belt drives. Better than the Rincon by a landslide.

If I was buying myself, I'd get an AC 500 manual. Have had one before, they are a lot better now than they were in 99, and I liked the one I had back then quite a bit. I wouldn't get a belt drive if I had the choice, and with a 500 AC, you do have a choice. I just wish that we weren't limited to belt drives on all the big quads. Nice to have a choice.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Honda