Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help,Which oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help,Which oil to use

I am real new to 4 wheelers,just picked up a 03 auto 500 Cat,and I need to know which oil would be best to use,,regular or synthetic,,,do I need bike oil, or can I go with regular oil, seeing as how it has a dry clutch. Also,while on the subject of oil, we have a older Honda 3 wheeler, what oil should we run in this. I assume that we need to stay with bike oil,,seeing as how it has the wet clutches,, or is this just hype from the dealers so you buy their oil.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AC's Synthetic, the only oil to use.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Bear4570
AC's Synthetic, the only oil to use.
This is what I use, so does my dad. Works great and it comes in a little kit that includes the oil filter.

I really have no idea about the dry vs. wet clutch stuff. No idea on the old Honda either. Sorry!

Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It doesnt matter if you have the auto or the 5 speed 500, they both have a wet centrifical clutch.
There is a line of thinking, which points to moly in oils, which adversly effects the operation of wet clutches. Many articles have been writen on this, and its been discussed here many times.
Safest bet, use whats called for in the owners manual, and synthetic or natural oil....your choice.
Most likely the owners manual will call out sg rated oil, which means non moly oil. The easiest way to find out if theres moly in the oil....if it has the energy conserving star burst symbol...it has moly.
I would think the best oil to use, will say safe for wet clutches, on the container.
Your old honda has two wet clutches, and honda recommends sg oil, which means non moly oil.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would say to take it back to the dealer!