Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hard Starting 375

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting 375

Hello,
I have a 2002 375 auto that is hard to get started once it has sat for a few weeks. I only have about 300 miles or so on it, and has been doing this for a while now. I use to just blow into the vent for the gas tank to prime it and that worked, but was a pain. One day I was trying to get it going and was wearing down the battery so i decided I would use the pull starter. The thing fired right up. I tried using the pull starter a few other times and it will start right up about the 2nd pull. Any idea whats going on? I can crank and crank with a full charged battery and it wont do anything, but give it a couple yanks of the cord and it fires right up? It starts good if its started every few days.
Any ideas will be appreciated
Jeff

Old 06-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You ignition switch is probably bad in the start position for the ignition part. Sounds like you need a new switch.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

well you only have 300 miles on an 02 which is extremely low miles are you sure the gas hasn't gone bad? and also maybe your carb just needs to be cleaned out a couple things that i would try anyways. and maybe a new spark plug. who knows could be a weak spark plug i guess.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
well you only have 300 miles on an 02 which is extremely low miles are you sure the gas hasn't gone bad? and also maybe your carb just needs to be cleaned out a couple things that i would try anyways. and maybe a new spark plug. who knows could be a weak spark plug i guess.

He said it hands starts on the first pull. Has to be the switch or wiring. I'm betting on the switch.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys for all the suggestions so far. I wonder though if the switch were bad, why would it start fine by pull starting it? And if I prime it by blowing into the gas tank breather or spray gas into the carbs it will fire right up using the electric starter. But if I dont prime it I can crank and crank almost to the point of running down the battery before it starts. Now if I just use the recoil starter without priming it , It will start in about 2 pulls. Its like when I use the recoil starter it gives it more gas, but that doesnt make sence?? I am lost!

Thanks
Jeff

Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello goat69: I have the same machine as you do.Had exactly the same problem...... solved it by installing a primer. I believe the 2003 cats and newer had built in primers on the carbs.Even in the coldest of weather I give it 3to4 shots of gas and it starts like a charm.Don't forget to CHOKE.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Can you get the primer at an AC dealer? How much does it run. Mine starts extremely well, but at very low winter temperatures, it struggles from time to time.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello goat69. The primer I installed is the push>pull type.They can be purchased at any snowmobile supply or similar aftermarket store ....Tyeing in with a tee fitting to gas line....and using primer gas line to the carb.Here is the tricky part .......you have to drill a hole in the flangeof the rubber piece ahead of the carb.Install a 1/8" brass tube and locktite it in.(red type)Practice with drill bits on scrap piece of aluminum,because it must be snug fitYou have to be DEAD ON drilling the flange otherwise you will have damage. You might want a machine shop to do this. The hole must be drilled near the top of the flange and of course drilled thru .(one side only) Be sure to remove part before doing this......lol. I mounted the primer itself just below the 12 volt plug on right side.....quite handy there.I've had my primer for 2 1/2 years with no problems........good luck!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Another issue with the pre 2004 model is a pilot jet (starting or slow speed jet) that is to small, Arctic Cat changed the pilot jet for the 2004 and newer models. You could install the new resized jet this also helps, but for extreme cold starting drill the new jet out very slightly larger, but a word of caution if you do not have a orifice drill bit (for natural gas orifice drilling) set do not attemt this as you will make it too large and create problems. (do not quote me on this but as far as I can remember it was 0.075".) The primer is almost a must for cold weather starting as well (-20 C and colder).

Quick Reply: Hard Starting 375