Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 Manual Slippage - Clutch adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Manual Slippage - Clutch adjustments?

Give me year, model and description of where the parts are and what they look like and I will hunt. I used to do this stuff for a living.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 - the deluxe version

The part looks sorta like a brake drum. It has 5 of the same type of "shoe" inside of it that are all connected by springs. They compress to the inside of the brake looking thing.

Where the part is found:
When you pull the cover off to get to the clutch plates, this part is sorta in front of, and overlapping the clutch plates.

I wish I had a digital camera. I just took an image off of that other site you sent to me and put a blue arrow to where the part goes. The cover has the two big round humps in them. One is for the clutch plates, the other is for this part. You can see in the image here where the part goes.

LINK TO IMAGE

Thanks again for your help. You've already been more than helpful.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

eshocked - you should not have any problems with the tires on the machine unless you are trying to back up HARD, and knowing the WEAK reverse the manuals have I can help you with that. Chances are you are the one that caused the problem by tring to back up when stuck, and not the previous owner. Doing neutral drops in reverse by chance?

Old 07-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Naw, I don't get stuck! These tires dig going forward. But yeah, these things should have low range reverse. I don't know why they don't. A friend of a friend has a fix for that too. Maybe you're him? I see you're in MN too. I didn't do any reverse drops either. I jumped the every living tar out of it, and dug through some really nice mud. That's about it. I really haven't driven it much. I drove it for about the first week I had it, and it's been parked since.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe if you polish the green fenders on it, it would slide through the mud better. Maybe I am the friend of your friend, and maybe I'm not. When do you want the fix for the reverse?

Old 07-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Green fenders? You mean the busted black fenders?
If you know colorblind people that used to try to do custom vinyl graphics, then you're the person I'm thinking of. I think I even bought a snowmobile from you. I bought one from somebody, but I don't remember who.

I want the fix now damnit! hehe.. I just want my fourwheeler to go again so I can go throw another beatin at it.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you need to order new parts from arctic cat for the clutch than it may take awhile, and in the mean time we can fix you up with the low range reverse, just get ahold of your color blind friend, and yes you did buy a snowmobile from me. Be sure to buy the repair manual from the dealer and not from online sources!! Hey watching the news and last time we had record 90's it was a very snowy winter (not to say that will happen but lets hope so you can get some good use of that sled I spent hours re-building, re-doing).

Old 07-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never even put one mile on that sled. It's been sitting in storage since the day I picked it up. My bro ended up buying another new Ski Doo 600 so I was driving that one last winter while I was in MN. I spent quite a bit of time in Jersey with the monster truck deal last winter, so I didn't end up getting to do too much sledding.

I'll get hold of that color blind punk tomorrow about that low range deal. That would be awesome. I hope it doesn't take the AC dealer too long to get those parts. I just wish I could figure out what they are. I guess I'll find out in the morning. I hope they're cheap too, like me.

Other than this, it's been a fun little toy. Much cheaper than the boat was. I sold that to buy this and I love it.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I put all that work into the sled and you have not taken it out once : ( .There are alot of man hours in it, so if we get snow this winter I would like to hear that you rode it at least one time, and if not, you bring it on over and I'll ride it. We can make a day trip and go out riding from my house if you would like, or I could trailer my sled up to you and we can go from there, if you want I will bring our color blind friend with (if he buys my wifes sled).

Old 07-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, it was actually for my older bro. I dropped it off at his house for him. He fired it up and it didn't run right. You and Chad both told me that the carbs would need to be adjusted when it's cold out, since everything was done on it while it was warm out. I told my bro that. He didn't want to deal with it, so the next day he went and bought another brand new sled, just like his other one. The first time out, I put it on it's side and broke the mirror off and cracked the windshield. I bet he were wishing then that I would have been driving the polaris.

He wants to sell it, but I haven't been much help for him. I figured if I wait long enough, it'll just become mine. I'd love to take it out to do some trails. Even if we have to bring a handicapped person with us.

Quick Reply: 400 Manual Slippage - Clutch adjustments?