Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

GPS Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

refiner:
I live in BC also. Where did you buy your GPS? Is the Garmin easy to use? Do you have it mounted on your ATV? If so, how did you mount it?

shmoky

Old 10-19-2000, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to concur with MINEHUNTER on his comments. After owning and using both Garmin and Magellan units I think the Garmin is more user friendly. I havent had any problem with either brand but, I just think the GPS12 is all you would need unless you really get into it and want to start mapping areas.
Also one of my riding buddies is on his THIRD Eagle unit. They have been good about customer service and replaced the bad ones but that does you little good when it fails you in the field.
I no longer ride anywhere without my GPS. I have come to rely on it a lot.
Just a note also, a great way to hold your GPS is an inexpensive cell phone holder. The squeeze type with a button to release it, and most have mounting holes on the back that will fasten it to whatever type bracket you make. The are fairly cheap (I paid 12.99 for mine) and available most anywhere.

Old 10-19-2000, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

I've used both "non-mapping" and mapping GPS. I prefer mapping versions with Topo maps loaded covering my riding areas. I've been editing my "soft-maps" with forestry trail designations and find this setup really handy for exploring new areas. My pick is the Garmin E-Map. Garmin sells a handlebar mount. The only downside is that this model is not as heavy-duty as most others. BTW, the best price I've seen for the "deluxe" version (has extra memory and download cable) is $252 mail order from www.cheaperthandirt.com.

Old 10-21-2000, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

Like some of the others in this post, I have a Garmin GPS 12 and find it very light, small, and easy to use. Even if you don't how to use most of it's features, you can just follow your "breadcrumb" trail back to where you started from. Garmin makes a handlbar mount for it that works very well. For a basic GPS that works in heavy cover well, I think it would be hard to beat. Shmoky,if you have a Canadian Tire store in Chetwynd, check them out. I think they sell Garmin. Mine was bought at a marine supply place in Richmond B.C.. For anyone looking for comparative information on GPS's made by Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance, along with prices to compare with the site that DreyMac mentioned, check out Global Mart at "www.2.globe-mart.com/". Under "Departments", click on GPS Navigation. Then, click on the make you are interested in and click on the pictures of the models you want to know about. You can buy nearly anything from them.

Old 10-26-2000, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I've decided on the Garmin eTrex as a decent starter unit. My primary need was the backtrack capability and being waterproof. I almost went for the Magellan 315 but it being water resistant, not water proof for 30 min. at 3 feet made the difference. That and the $30 higher price.

If I decide I need more from a GPS handheld I'd probably give careful consideration to the Garmin 12. It came in second as a result of your input and my research.

Thanks again.