Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

GPS Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who out there can help me decide what GPS receiver would be best for me. I've found a great web site at http://4x4books.com/gps.htm with excellent reviews and decent pricing from what I can gather. But, I'm a practical person and would appreciate some practical advice from someone who actually uses GPS in the woods.

I'm going to drag my bikes out to Colorado at Thanksgiving to visit the in-laws and don't want to get lost in the mountains. Also, I can't justify spending over $200 unless you can give me some good reasons my wife will buy;-)

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

DreyMac:
Hey, I'm also looking into GPS units. I currently am taking a farm machinery class at WSU, and GPS units are the topic of most of the course. They are being used for precision ag, requiring higher managment skills, but producing better crop yields, and a higher dollar crop at the same time. The Prof. has 13 units he hands out, and in pairs, we go out in the field and either plot points, or find coordinates. We also took a field trip over about 360 miles, of which he gave me and my buddy a larger unit, with a 6"x6" screen. All are Lowrance units, and I don't think they have all the same features as the Garmin or Magellan units, but they are still interesting, seem to work good, and really rather accurate.

They are tricky to program at first, as you have to make sure you set the clock, and line it up with the appropriate satellites, as the ones it is originally programmed with from the factory are most likely not the same ones that will be seen from where you live. If you don't program it properly, it will give you bogus readings. It was also rather frustrating at first, trying to figure it out, and how to do different things, but just like a computer, the more you use it, the easier it gets.

I'm looking into the Garmin GPS III plus myself, but it is rather spendy. If you want to keep the cost down, the Magellan 315 unit has tons of great features, and I believe has the PC downloading capabilities, to put maps into while out in the woods. That is a cool feature to have, and very detailed. I think the cost of those units are around $150 or so. If map downloading is not important, you can find others for much cheaper. Also, the number of waypoints, and actual trails you save into it will add in price. I think 500 is pretty much standard, but the more expensive ones will handle as many as 1000 if I remember right.

And, by the way, I love your pics! Those 'Claws look awesome on there, can't wait till mine arrive!

Best of luck with the GPS decision,

Mike

Old 10-17-2000, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

At he web site I mentioned in my first post I kinda like the GARMIN eTrex Summit with choice of FREE PC Cable or FREE Cigarette lighter adapter or FREE Carrying Case - $249.99 - It has all the features of the extremely popular eTrex with built in barometric altimeter, and electronic compass.

The regular eTrex is more in my price range at $115. Would the computer connection, altimeter and compass make that much of a difference, especially for limited use? I don't think it could be worth stretching over double what I want to pay. I'm very tempted to pull out the plastic and try the regular eTrex because I'm sure I can get that past my wife. Otherwise, I may have to wait for Xmas.

Old 10-17-2000, 04:55 PM
Range Rover

Hey DReyMac, are the fuction buttons for the etrex Summit on the side of the unit just like the regular eTrex?
I choose the Magellan 315 because all of the buttons are on the face of the unit and it also has a better screen resolution I believe.

If the eTrex is in any kind of holder/bracket, how can you push the buttons while you are on the go? (Assuming buttons are on the side.)

Anyway, I made my own holder for my GPS out of
UHMW. It's the same stuff our skid plates are made of basiclly. I took a solid 3"X4"X3" block of it and machined it to hold my GPS very snuggly and I also drilled drainage holes in it so it would not hold water. Using adhesive backed Velcro, I mounted it right on the top of the gas tank.
It is easily viewed and operated from this location. It does take an extra minute or so to get its bearing the first time because it is laying flat but once it's locked on, it has never lost its tracking.

I know they sell mounting brackets for them but they all leave the units sticking up in the air like a sore thumb waiting to get smashed by a tree branch or torn off and damaged in a rollover.

I also purchased two power supply cords for it. I hard wired one of them on the Cat using the supplied inline fuse and the other cord is so I can use it in any other situation. I.E. car, boat.

Okay, way too much typing for me, I'll leave the long stories for Cowboy. Ha! Ha! Got ya!

Anyway, hope this helps ya out.

Ron

Old 10-17-2000, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, the GARMIN eTrex Summit has the same button configuration as the plain eTrex. And, from the ad copy, they seem to think that's an advantage.

I was trying to follow the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, but, the more I look into it the more I think I should up the ante. The Garmin configuration couldn't be much simpler but for about $150 you can get the Magellan 315 with the down loadable maps. Who uses the maps and is it worth the extra $35 bucks?

For about $50 you can get a handlebar mount and and extra power cord for the Garmin. The same accessories will push the cost of the Magellan over $200. Decisions, decisions . . .

I guess if these things are really worth their weight in Gold I should be prepared to spend (6 oz. X $275/oz.) about $1650;-)

Old 10-17-2000, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have the Garmin 12 and it does everything I ever need while hunting or riding. It does have the ability to download to a computer, however I've never done so. It also has the altimeter built in. I do not think you would ever need any more than 500 waypoints in a memory. 100 would probably be sufficient for most people. It does no good to have 500 waypoints marked if you can't remember what they are all for. The advantage with the E-trex would be the longer battery life on fewer batteries. You could also by a compass for $10.00, forget the altimeter and still have all the GPS you would need and be forty bucks ahead. My Garmin 12 was about $149 and that is common for it.

Old 10-17-2000, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've used GPS units for several years fishing and hunting. My preference under $200.00 would be the magellan gps 315 or gps 320. Both are the same except the 320 has lakes and marine software factory loaded. Both are excellent units, and easy to use. They are both water proof and have all the features you need.If you want to spend a little more and get a first class unit I' recommend the Garmin GPS 111 plus and get the topo CD_rom and down load. The Magellan 315 goes for about $149.00, the 320 for $199.00 and the garmin 111plus for $349.00 plus $99.00 for the topo cd-rom. These prices are very near what you'll find from a reputable dealer. I'd be very careful of any of these models for much less than this as you are probally getting a recondition unit.I think the gps 315 is your best bet.

Old 10-18-2000, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Garmin GPSII Plus. I think it would be worth around 200 bucks in the US, here in BC it was around 300.
It has all the features you could want for ATVing, track back, save routes, easy waypoint saving, speed, trip, etc.

Old 10-18-2000, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Do yourself a favor and steer clear from :http://4x4books.com/gps.htm . I bought a the gps III from them and i dont have any complaint with the gps itself , the prob i have with them is their customer service sucks. their Add will tell you that they send thier products out the next day for next day shipments, for what the us mail tells me they dont gauarantte next day. When i ordered my gps from them i told them at any cost i needed it by the next day or no later the following day after that. Well to keep it short I couldnt get any where on the phone with them. They answer complaints by email only. To me it seems they hired some flunkie to answer the phone. While they sit on their asses rakin in the doe. Now I dont have anything havin your own bussness but i have always belived the the customer is my pay check and i dont want to loose it. Well i just never felt that my dollar ment anything to them. Id really hate to think if i ever had a prob with the unit that i would have to sent it back to them. well after i got back from my trip I called them 5 days after i ordered it to ask them where it was ,a nd i never got any answer from them. I had to go to the post office and track down the package myself. When i sepnd over 400 buck on something i expect it when its promised to me. That it just my 2 cents on them.

Old 10-18-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

I was an instructor on GPS usage and application while in the service. I started using GPS when there were only four satellites in orbit in 1987. We had to wait sometimes as long as 24 hours just to get a 2 deminsional fix. Currently there are 34 satellites in orbit, but the constellation only uses 24. The others are old block one satellites that have been turned off. They can be turned back on if one of the others fail.

I have used units that have cost from $1,000,000+ to those that are under $100. Manufacturers range from just about A to Z. In my past and current experience, the GPS 12 is just about all a person would need. They are extremely reliable and very simple to use. Intial startup only entails getting the right country and state inputted and setting the date and local time. There are plenty of units out there for just about everyone, with all kinds of bells and whistles, but remember this adage when it comes to electronic components "less is more". The E-trex is a fine machine but the buttons being on the side are sometimes hard to operate while wearing heavy gloves, for that point they all are with gloves to one extent or another.

The GPS that I have found in the past to be the most reliable is the Trimble units. They are quite costly. The most unreliable, and I know this will start a row is the Eagle. Followed closely by the mid priced Magellans. The lower priced Magellans seem to be better units, but they have no features such as track back.

Quick Reply: GPS Receivers