Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 AC 500 rear axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 AC 500 rear axle problem

Have two AC 500 auto and both machines have had the rear axles replaced because of a clanging or clicking noise. Because of stress put on the opposite rear axle when turning, the u-joints are becoming loose and need repairing. Arctic Cat knows this is a problem and they have authorized dealers to change out the bad axles under warranty. So far, they have not upgraded the axles or taken steps to correct this problem. The bad axle is replaced with a identical new one. My dealer indicated to me that AC has not issued a recall on this and they don't know why. It has been so bad that there has been a extended back order for this problem. If any of you guys hear any noise coming from the rear end, you might want to check with your dealer about it.....sparkie

Old 08-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sparkieg
Have two AC 500 auto and both machines have had the rear axles replaced because of a clanging or clicking noise. Because of stress put on the opposite rear axle when turning, the u-joints are becoming loose and need repairing. Arctic Cat knows this is a problem and they have authorized dealers to change out the bad axles under warranty. So far, they have not upgraded the axles or taken steps to correct this problem. The bad axle is replaced with a identical new one. My dealer indicated to me that AC has not issued a recall on this and they don't know why. It has been so bad that there has been a extended back order for this problem. If any of you guys hear any noise coming from the rear end, you might want to check with your dealer about it.....sparkie
What year are your arctic cats?

I'm trying to figure out what brand of ATV to get. I like the Polaris Sportsman because all four wheels are independent suspension. Looks like the arctic cat 2005 400 and up models have independent rear suspension, but not in the front. Suzuki is the opposite.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oops!!!!Both of my AC500 are 2005. Also forgot to post a grounding problem for the radiator fan. Seems as though the grounding post is of poor design and the fan motor comes on and goes off again too quickly without cooling down the engine. This was causing some hot exhaust problems against the legs of the riders. This also has been fixed on several machines by my dealer. The grounding of the motor has been relocated and has corrected the problem. I think that I have a very good dealer as well as the mechanics that work for him.....sparkie

Old 08-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I find that hard to believe as the '05 400's and 500's both run the same axles as the '05 650 does and the 650 axles were beefed to handle the 650 engine as the early ones had problems. What have you been doing with your machines?

Old 08-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bear, just what is it that's hard to believe?????Don't know about the beefed up axle's on the 650's but I know what has happened to my wife's and mine 500's. In fact, just got back from riding National Forest ATV trails in Arkansas and the opposite axle is making the same noise and will need replacing. As info, I am 62 years old and can't tell you how old the wife is but don't think that I'm messing the axles up by rough handling. Both 500's have less than 500 miles. I just put this post on here as info for people to look for and not for some jake to question my honesty.......thanx....sparkieg

Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bear, just what is it that's hard to believe?????Don't know about the beefed up axle's on the 650's but I know what has happened to my wife's and mine 500's. In fact, just got back from riding National Forest ATV trails in Arkansas and the opposite axle is making the same noise and will need replacing. As info, I am 62 years old and can't tell you how old the wife is but don't think that I'm messing the axles up by rough handling. Both 500's have less than 500 miles. I just put this post on here as info for people to look for and not for some jake to question my honesty.......thanx....sparkieg

No offense hear, but you are thw first have heard of the '05s having any problems with axles, or drive train. It's must be a quality control issue or some bad bearings, because with the new axles that handle the 650's horsepower and torque, the 400 and 500s should never be able to even nick the paint on them (they are the same axles). If a bearing goes south that's not really an axle issue. These things have CV (constant velocity) joints, that don't work at all like u-joints. Are they failing at the CV joints, in the hubs or where? Do you do a lot of pavement running, that's real hard on the drive system? Has your dealer replaced every thing under warranty?

Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bear, no offense taken. These axles are failing at the CV joints. My dealer here in Oklahoma has seen several of them because they informed me of the problem when I called there attention to the noise coming from the axles. I do some riding on the blacktop just to get from one place to another but I don't think it is sufficient enough to cause this problem. Arctic Cat is replacing these axles under warranty but according to my dealer after they talked to AC when these problems occurred in quite a few machines, AC said to go ahead and replace the axles for now as they were not issueing a recall yet. Dealer thinks that is possibly because they haven't gotten the problem corrected yet.....sparkieg

Old 08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wonder why no one on here has complained about it, until you of course.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bear, if you would like more info or confirmation about these axle problems, you can call Swinford Equipment out of Stillwater, Okla which is a Arctic Cat dealer and ask for Kyle because he is the main mechanic for ATV's. The number is 580-724-3088....sparkieg

Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bear, if you would like more info or confirmation about these axle problems, you can call Swinford Equipment out of Stillwater, Okla which is a Arctic Cat dealer and ask for Kyle because he is the main mechanic for ATV's. The number is 580-724-3088....sparkieg

I will be down near my dealer on thursday and will ask their mechanic. Brain has become good friend and is truthful with me about things. They figured out early on that I knew about wrenching. If he doesn't know anything I will call Stillwater.

Quick Reply: 2005 AC 500 rear axle problem