Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Claws have arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Mr. UPS finally delivered my 'Claws today. First off, I have to say THANK YOU to Andy for giving me the initial "kick in the butt" in deciding on the 'Claws, and also to Boner, for backing him up, you guys definately did me a HUGE favor there, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Also, thanks to James, at High Lifter, for all the help as well, very good customer service.

Now, for the tires. My initial thoughts when he brought them out of the truck were "damn, those things are mean!" Wasn't quite sure how they would fit on the 'Cat, they just looked huge. Les Schwab mounted them up for $40 total, and off I went. Pullman is located in the center of miles of wheat fields, so there really isn't any good places to ride. I did find a rather long drainage ditch though, that was only about 4-5 feet wide in most places, that had rather deep mud, clay and a few inches of water on top, which turned out to be my testing grounds, for now until elk season anyway.

I dropped into the thing, and just sank. Immediately thought I was going to be in trouble and have to be pulled out, boy was I wrong. Gave it a little throttle, and the whole 'Cat jumped on in the rest of the way, and just putted right through the stuff like nothing. Had it in 4-low, with just enough gas to keep a forward momentum, which wasn't much at all. Mud was actually flying off all over the place! That was way cool, as my stockers had never done that before at that slow of a speed. I ran the length of the ditch, then crawled out, and took my dad's 'Cat through it, with the stock 489's, just to see the difference. On his 'Cat, in 4-low, it took A LOT more throttle to get going, and to keep moving. Mud was not slinging anywhere, but rather just building up in the tread. I almost couldn't get out of the ditch, as it was just spinning wildly, and eventually caught, pulling itself out.

Ran through it a few more times with the 'Claws, on my machine, and tried various throttle pressures. Man, they really throw the mud with high throttle in low range! Nobody within 20' in any direction is safe!

I didn't get any actual clearance gain measurements, but it was quite substantial, and even more than I had originally thought. Sitting side by side, the 'Claws stand at least a solid 3" taller than the 489's on my dads machine. The rack is also probably around 2-3" taller as well. Ground clearance gains are a definate bonus now, I'll have to get the tape out in the daylight and check for sure, then let you know what I find.

Aside from the massive amount of traction increase, and ground clearance gains, the next biggest bonus to the 'Claws is the steering. I honestly can't believe how easy the thing steers now. I didn't know what you guys were all talking about before, but now with the 'Claws mounted up, it's completely effortless, very easy to turn. That will prove a definate bonus for the type of terrain I normally ride, up in the mountains.

As for the ride, well, they are actually pretty smooth. At really slow speeds (less than 5 mph), you can tell you are riding a heavy lugged tire, but it's nothing that is really bothersome, more of a smooth washboard type effect. At higher speeds, you really don't notice it at all, they're actually really quite smooth. At speeds greater than 30 mph, you really couldn't tell any difference from the stockers on the hard packed/gravel roads anyway.

As for power loss, well, I honestly can't say for sure yet, as there wasn't any real hills to climb. From what I was able to do today in the short time, I couldn't tell any loss at all in either high or low range, but the real test will be up at elk camp. That's when I'll know for sure how much it was effected. As of yet, I can't tell any difference. The two small hills I did climb were covered in about 3-4' deep grass, with some of those 6' high sticker weeds. It was pretty steep, and the stock 489's had a hard time busting through the stuff, and eventually got stopped dead in it's tracks, spinning all four's on the now laid over grass. I went up it with the 'Claws, and powerd on through that stuff, plowed a trail on up the rest of the way with no problem at all. After I had broken the ground, the 489's were able to make it up.

While my terrain was rather limited today, I can tell for sure though, these are definately the right tire for me. After seeing what they can do in the few situations I encountered, I know they'll be perfect for my main riding styles, and terrain I normally encounter. My only real concern now is when I can get out and actually use them!

Anyway, I'll post another review after elk season, around the 5th or 6th of Nov. There will be tons of mud, and some snow as well, so I'll get a real idea of what they can do up there. I'll also be sure to post actual clearance gains, and true tire sizes with the various pressures as well. Right now, I'm running 6.5 lbs. all the way around.

Well, sorry to be so long winded, but by now, most of you know I've usually got a mouth full anyway, so hope nobody gets too irritated. And, if Thump is still considering going with the 'Claws as opposed to the Bugs, I'd have to highly recommend trying the 'Claws, they're not only awesome, but mean as hell, and definately give the 'Cat a "killer, predatory" look, which could very well be feared by many other atv's out there! Heh Heh Heh!

Mike

Old 10-19-2000, 09:46 AM
sly
Trailblazer

Cowboy did you go with BI or TRI claws? And what size for front and back?
Thanks SLY

Old 10-19-2000, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He got 27" bi fronts and 27" tri rears.

Cowboy- I had a feeling that you would be surprised when they finally arrived. I think I might call Rocky Mtn. in a few minutes and order some wheels. I may have to do something to make me keep my AC for the long haul, and that would do it. Harder to sell something when you've been putting money into it. My Claws aren't mounted now, and its just about rifle season. I need to do something about that quick.

Did you check out the new article on the Bomb and AC? I was surprised that they made it so close, after all of the bragging that they did about the Bombardier. That makes me proud I guess. If you do wind up noticing a power loss, I don't think it will be much at all. I only ever noticed it in a few different situations.

When you finally take the tape out and measure, I think it will blow your mind at what clearance gains you find. If you ride any blacktop, you will notice a choppy ride at first. Thats just because the tips of the tread hit at first. After a short while, they will wear down even with the rest of the tread and it will ride a lot better. The steering absolutely floored me too. I had the 495's which are about as sorry steering as it gets, but you're giving it a good comparison with the narrower 489's.

Glad you like them man. I would hate to have steered someone the wrong way.

Old 10-19-2000, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It didn't take long, I just ordered a set of wheels for my AC from Rocky Mtn.

Old 10-19-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Sly:
Yeah, Andy's right, I ordered the 27x9.75x12" Bi-Claw's for the front, and the 27x12x12 Tri-Claws for the rear. I can't stress enough how much easier these huge tires steer, compared to the stock 489's. In fact, after riding my 'Cat for a while, I switched to my Dad's, to see the difference, and my arms almost got tired turning that thing. I didn't realize before how stiff it is, and hard to turn. For the riding I do, up in all the elk trails and such, I'd almost buy the tires just for the steering ability alone!

Andy:
Man, I'm telling ya, these things are awesome! Thanks again for swaying my decision, I feel fairly confident that I would not have been near as impressed with any of the other tires I was looking at, and probably felt guilty about spending money on them. No guilt at all with the 'Claws, they perform, ride well and definately look cool on the 'Cat.

So what wheels did you go with? When I buy some wheels, I'll probably go with the ITP Magnum Powder coat Grey. I like the idea of the light weight of the aluminum, but I have to be honest, I really don't wash my 'Cat all that much in great detail, so she really doesn't look all that purty all the time. As a result, I wouldn't do justice to the fancy chrome polished rims, though they do look nice. Was Rocky Mountain cheaper than the rest? I haven't looked for wheels there yet. H.L. had them for $99, while Dennis Kirk has the same ones for $149! Man, talk about a huge markup there, that's rediculous!

Well, I hope you have better luck with your hunting than I have had so far. Opening weekend I saw around 15 doe, 16 elk, a huge old bull that was almost white entirely with a rack that stretched clear back past his rear end, two mountain goats, two bald eagles, a few coyotes, bobcat and cougar tracks, and even tracked a bear for a while till I lost her in the thick cover. Also saw about 40 or so turkey, but not one single buck!

Well, I'm going to go find a tape measurer, and see what it looks like as far as clearance gains. Then, I'm switching the 3/8" spacers in front for 1/2", and installing the 3/8" in the rear, so I'll let you know both with and without measurements. I can tell you though, without measuring yet, I am already surprised as to how much it gained, just by looking at it.

Best of luck with the hunting, and glad to hear you're hanging on to the 'Cat for a while longer, I don't know how you could part with it, kind of like loosing a good friend. Thanks again for the great advice!

Mike

Old 10-19-2000, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glade your like the claws. I love mine also.

Old 10-19-2000, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We have about 5 in the yard every night, but they are all does. Not like I would shoot a deer in my own yard though. Thats kind of sissy like. I'm not exactly starving right now either.

I got ITP steel in the chrome finish. I wasn't looking to spend that much on the aluminum. They are like $49 apiece out of Rocky Mtn. and shipping is about $24. Not bad.

I finished sighting in my Oneida tonight. Its dead on from 25 yards in, and pretty close at 40. Thats about as far as I might dare take a shot anyway. I have all my black powder stuff in line right now, but I have to go get some caps. If all goes as planned, that will sum up my weekend. I figure to have the claws remounted by next Wed.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like your impressed! Once again you have got me thinking. Enjoy and good luck hunting.

Old 10-26-2000, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

Im glad you like your tires.I was just wondering how they would do in the mountains and on hardpack.I dont do a great deal of mudding.I also have a Suzuki King Quad.Do you think the Suzuki would pull the tires.Thanks.......BOB

Old 10-26-2000, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They will ride rougher than stock on hardpack. That is a given. They are not so bad that you can't tolerate it though. In mountains, they do great. I have so much more confidence going up tough hills. They dig in good, and aren't nearly as prone to spinning out as stock tires. I do a lot more hill riding than mud myself, and I got these tires because I thought it would be the best compromise between hills, mud, and ride comfort. Mine are now mounted on ITP chrome, and it seems as if they may have a little more offset than the stock rims. I could be wrong though, and just have forgotten what they looked like before. Its been over a month since I had them on.