Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Looking at all the tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the Honda dealer to look at all their tires today and was quite impressed by some and others not so much. Of what I saw, there were 26 and 27 inch Vampires, 27" Mag Bi/Tri-Claws, Bear Claws, Blackwaters, Mud Bugs, and then there were even a set of 28" Vamps.

In summary, I really liked the Claws the best. I think the 27" vampires would dig in better, but would ride much worse, and they were obviously heavier as well. Both impressed me though and it would be a tough decision between these two top contenders. Bear Claws look like another type of copy of the age old spider track design, just another variation, but for their purpose look good. Not what I'm looking for though. Blackwaters just flat suck! Small tread design for an overrated 27" tire that is also overpriced. Looks like they will puncture too easily for a pricey aftermarket monster tire, and I would rather have a bear claw any day. Kenda don't make the 27" though. Maxxis Mud Bugs.... not what I had imagined from the pictures. Too wide of a space between the lugs, which were not very deep or wide. I guess the less weight is this tires fine point, because it just didn't fit the bill as a major mud tire contender. Obviously mucho better than stock by a mile and also much better than the Blackwater. 6 ply rating is also a big selling point. Not for me either. Last there was the 28" vampire. I picked this thing up and damn near threw my back out. It had me thinking M.F! Massey Ferguson that is, because that is what you would need to turn this anvil of a tire. This is truly a serious mud tire, because that is all it would be good for. The lugs are so deep, it looks like a bunch of axe blades sticking out of the tire, and this is what it rides on. You would think that they would break off under the right conditions, but you could wear an inch off of them, and then you would still have regular Vampires. As for the ride expected, I think it would be about as soft as riding with just wheels on and no tires mounted to them. Seriously, this was so nasty of a tire, it looked virtually useless to me unless you live in a swamp where it would undoubtedly be the best thing immaginable to have. Even trails look like too firm of ground for this tire. It has to be the mud run king without question, and I do not see how highlifter's tire with its inch and a quarter tread depth could ever gain more traction than this tire. Picked up the bi claw, then picked up the 28 vamp, and it was oh so much heavier. Then I picked up the bi-claw again and it was to the extent of swinging a weighted baseball bat in the on deck circle. The bi claw felt like 22" knobby. It sure was fun playing with all the tires though. A worthwhile experience for the whole family. Bring the wife and kids!

Old 04-19-2000, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like Mud-lovers Heaven!!!

I oh so envy you!! I get a kick out of just looking at my 26" mudrunners! Beastly!!!!

Old 04-19-2000, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

Andy,
you are right, the Mudbuggs do not look the same in person,... But I love mine and would not take anything for them except maybe a 28" set(if they made them. Yea the tread is spaced far appart, but that just makes them clean out better.
Unless you need mud in you veins and you quad has an LT1 power plant 28" 'Vamps are just too much and they ride alwful on anything but mud,
I got to ride two Polariss today a Sportsman 500 with 26" Mudrunners and a Magnum 500 with 28" Vamps. I liked the mudrunners except when you were on hard pack, A little to rough for me. On the Magnum I hated the Vamps,,,they dig way to much, They guy got stuck on a tractor trail that my 'Cat travels everday with no problem. Because they weigh too much to even think about floatation and they just sat and dug, and with no bottom that is not a good idea. The guy offered to sell his Vamps to me but I did not want them and the Govt bought the for him.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 28" vampire looked more like a tiller than it did a tire! Talk about plowing a field, if anybody's wife caught them cutting through the front yard with those, they couldn't find a hat big enough to cover up the lumps! I bet the mud bugs ride pretty good, and they don't weigh anything when compared to the alternatives. The other good thing is that they fit on the stock rims. I'll probably get the claws, I've had a crush on them ever since they came out.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

The first time I saw the 28" Vamp, I thought two things:1.Rubber Buzzsaw and 2.Placing a warning on the fenders-"WARNING-Keep Hands and Feet Clear". Can you imagine pulling on the front rack trying to help someone get unstuck and the tires are really spinning and your foot slips under the tire. That is a lost foot!

Old 04-20-2000, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Enjoyed your analysis of the tire outting, sounded pretty cool. Hey, do either you or BCD happen to know actual weights of the Mud Bugs, or Bi/Tri Claws? Maybe a 27"? Just curious.

Mike

Old 04-20-2000, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

Cowboy the 27-10X12 just weigh maybe 5 pounds more than the Scock Titans the rear 27-12x12 weigh probaly 10-12 pounds more.

Old 04-20-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

BigCatDriver:
Thanks for the info. Looks like we're talking about a 20-40 pound overall gain in weight. Shouldn't be too bad, I wouldn't think. Man, I can't wait till finals are done. I'm itching to get up in the hills for a week or so!!!

Mike

Old 04-20-2000, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

I too really wanted to get some vamps until I saw them in person. They look like they would eat through anything that they came in contact with. Don't get me wrong, in the mud, you probably couldn't stop them, but I think you would had to wear a mouthpiece on hard pack to keep your teeth in tact. I've got the Bear Claws, and have so far been really happy with them. Don't count them out. They are inexpensive too.

Old 04-21-2000, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I think the Vampires look like the best traction tire there is, but they also look like a rough ride, and that the tips of the fangs would wear down on hard surface quicker. I ride more woods than mud, so I will have to go with something that has a centerline to it, but still has real good bite. Claws. They seem to be as close in traction as it gets to the Vamps, plus, those spiny things on the side looks cool. The 27" bi-claw looks much badder in person than in any picture. Its not the wimpier looking tire like the 26".