Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Holding its own

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about that article on the front page! Seems like the AC held its own with the Traxter XT. I didn't expect it to come out that way myself. Especially with all of the bragging that has been done on the Traxter. They seemed to think the AC was the better quad in torque. I also wondered what the speed thing would be like. The AC won that one too. Also won the hillclimbing and was even in the mudpit. Better ride as well.

Truthfully, the AC won all of the comparisons that are actually important to me. Seems as if I have gotten more evidence that I got what I needed when I got the AC. If it was only 5mph faster, I think it would be perfect.

Old 10-19-2000, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Andy:
What? Only 5 mph faster and it would be "perfect". What about the locking front end for true four wheel drive??? Heh heh heh. You know, I have never seen a Traxter in person, but with all the hype about the thing, I figured it would be tough for the AC to beat, if at all. With the front end, I thought it could be compared more to the SP500. For my book, the AC beat it in every category. Of course, I don't do a lot of speed riding, but for those that do, the AC could use a little higher top end.

I was kind of surprised though that the mud test turned out as it did. Especially with the Blackwaters on the XT, and the 489's on the 'Cat! My stockers just built up with mud, never cleaned themselves out. Granted, I could get through some deep stuff, but it was tough. Guess I thought the Blackwaters would handle better than they did.

For the feature to feature comparison, and adding in the cost factor, I think the AC has it, hands down.

Well, my 'Cat is calling me. Need to go take some measurements, then install spacers, and finally, go find a damn deer! Just got the OK to hunt some farmers ground down on the river, and the OK to use my 'Cats, so I better take advantage of it. Saw about 30 doe down there yesterday, and 3 bucks, so hopefully I'll get lucky this evening, but with my luck lately, I doubt it.

Take care,

Mike

Old 10-19-2000, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

I Can't believe the price differance.The Traxter sure lost the price catagory test.

Old 10-19-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

I've never rode a Traxter but I have sat on one. It felt alot wider(which it is) and the motor area felt like a normall auto quad( it's alot wider that the Cat at the motor-- look at the pictures of there skid plates).

With all the talk about how yellow fellow pulled 28x12x12 Outlaws on ITP Magnum wheels with no other mods I thought it would realy beat the Cat in the power/gearing department. I think That I will now consider buying some ITP magnum wheels. Since they weight half as much as my ITP steel wheels I have now.

Andy-- what wheels did you buy? If you got some ITP Magnums you should cancel your order and Get them from High Lifter or Cawood tire, both are cheaper than RM ATV for The ITP magnums. IF you bought the ITP steel wheels I think you will regret it like I did, unless you are getting chrome or chrome/black wheel for the looks. If I had to do it over again I would buy the ITP Magnums or a set of factory wheels over again.

Old 10-19-2000, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got ITP chrome. I can't really see how I would regret it. Its half the price of aluminum, and in the case that I bend the edges on one, I can always bang it back into shape. Thats not happening on an aluminum wheel. If power loss is the key, then I can't see where there would be a major difference in weight between the stockers. If you are noticing a power loss, its probably because you are pulling 12" tires on front.

As for the article, that just goes to show you what Blackwaters are good for.

Old 10-19-2000, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A TEST BETWEEN THE NEW TRAXTER AUTO, CAT AUTO, AND RUBICON. THAT WOULD SHOW BELT, HYDROLIC, AND GEARED TRANNIES...NONE NEEDING TO BE SHIFTED.

Old 10-20-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

The Tires have alot to do with it but the ITP wheels weight TWICE as much as the factory wheels. I think the factory wheels are the best cause they weigh about 1-2 lbs more than the Magnums yet are still steel. On the other hand you will have one hell of a time trying to bend the ITP steel wheels, there made out of 1/8"(or was it 1/4"???) thick steel.

Andy, Want to sell your factory wheels? What about the factory tires/wheels?

Old 10-20-2000, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No Boner. That was the entire reason behind getting the wheels in the first place. I used my stock rims at first, but I didn't want to wear out a $400 set of mud tires driving around on asphalt. I switched the 495's back on until I decided whether or not to sell the AC. Now that I'm keeping it, at least until next spring, I decided to get another set of wheels so I can change out tires at my leisure. I checked the dealership about factory rims, and they were like $75 each. Might as well upgrade to the ITP.

ITP weighs 13lbs. Magnums weigh 7lbs. Factory lies somewhere in between. I don't see that making a whole lot of difference. Plus, the chrome rims will give it a nice touch.

Old 10-20-2000, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Good luck on your deer! One reason the Cat did so well (in my opinion) is the semi-independant rear suspension. On the Traxter, if one rear wheel fell in a dip or hole of some sort (in the mud or hillclimbing) it was in the air, not doing anything. With the Cat suspension, it let just that one wheel drop down to where the traction was. I think that is why they were so close in the mud. The ability for the wheels to follow the terrain overcame the Traxters better front diff. The best tires in the world won't help if they can't bite into anything. I also think that is why the Sportsmans do so well in the mud, true 4wd & the wheels can all find traction. You would think for the extra money, the Traxter should have IRS. Not to bash them at all, but the price seems a little steep.

Old 10-20-2000, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I was told by a dealer that the factory wheels weight about 6-8 lbs. They also told me that the widest factory wheel was a 7" wide wheel, not an 8" wide version that many people had talked about.

Quick Reply: Holding its own