Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Is arctic Cat ever gonna make a sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well are they???

Old 10-21-2000, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

I sure hope so. I believe they will, since suzuki is making one I can see AC soon to follow. Espeacialy after seeing the way AC does there snowmobiles, mainly performance oriented.
matty

Old 10-21-2000, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

I hope NOT. Seems like MOST sport riders only want to argue.

Old 10-21-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Boner:
I couldn't agree with you more! AC makes a great utility quad, and has a great lineup already, though they still have room for improvement. I'd hate to see them begin production on sport quads, as that would then take away from, or possibly shift interest from what they do best, to the sporting industry.

As for the arguing bit, take a look at any other forum on the board. AC is about the only one where we ALL seem to get along, without bickering or arguing. Even if we don't all agree on certain issues, it seems the AC boys (and gals!) seem to handle themselves in a mature and responsible manner. I'd hate to loose that, this is a good, informative forum, regardless of the issues at hand.

Personnally, I'd like like to see AC offer a stiffer front shock set-up, or stiffer spring assembly. This definately isn't for everybody, but for the guys like myself, who work a lot with their machines, it would be a big bonus to have the option or availability of stiffer front springs. Another great addition to the AC lineup would be either a lockable/unlockable front locker for true four wheel drive. I don't have a problem with it myself, especially since the addition of the 'Claws, but for some, a lighter steering would be nice. Also, they made a step in the right direction by adding CV boot guards standard on the new models, though I think they fell asleep in the engineering department on the day they were designed. Come on AC, what do you expect those things to do really? I'd like to see them have factory installed steel CV boot protectors, stock, no upgrade or aftermarket purchase. Not just AC, but I believe all manufacturers should do this as well.

I could go on with things such as maybe a faster top end for the guys like Andy, who occasionally need to get places in a hurry, or also for others who could use a lower low range, such as found on the 300's, but hey, we can save that for later.

Just my two bits...

Mike

Old 10-21-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Could you do me a favor and respond to the "who wants What?" post that I made? That is EXACTYLY the type of post I NEED to help me in my quest for more aftermaket parts for Arctic Cats.

Old 10-21-2000, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Cowboy, as I think they should stick with bettering the already nice utility quads they are producing. Seems that all I find over in the Yamaha board, and the Honda board, are people bickering about who is faster, and your brand is a piece of ****. As I have been on this Forum for a few months now, I have found that the people on this AC site are helpful, and are not into bashing like the others on the other boards. We should just count our blessings, and enjoy what we ride!!

Old 10-21-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, was just there, hope it helps! Like I said, I've got food on the brain, and forgot to add the spring bit, and a few others. It's Dad's weekend here at WSU, so my parents came up to see my sister and I, and go to the big game. They brought my boy up as well for the weekend, so I need to get over and spend some time with them. We're having a big bar-b-que, and a few other things, so I'll think a little more about it after I eat.

Mike

Old 10-22-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

cowboy:

SO FAR I don't think my cat needs stiffer front springs. I find that it needs softer ones if any change at all. I find that the rear suspension is the one that needs to be upgraded to stiffer springs. When I jump I ALWAYS bottom out the rear suspension-- never the fronts.

I think my Rule 3300 lbs winch will change my mind about making softer front springs, but I will probally use FrankD's lift kit idea in the rear, but I will not make it as stiff.

As far as the boot guards go, atleast they got better and not worst.

Old 10-22-2000, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

So you guys would base whether or not a manufactuerer should build a fun and exciting atv thus expanding their market and bettering atvs as a whole, by what it would possibly do to this forum board? I personally would be exstatic to see a bright green ZR500 powered atv sitting in AC showrooms, arctic cat makes great products and I would love to see them expand into the High performance aspect of atvs!

Old 10-22-2000, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

No, not based on what it would do to this board, that's just a side note. I've seen a few large companies who specialized in certain products, then shift production runs to a new or different design. Attention then shifted in detail to the new lineup, in this case could be sport machines, and as a result, attention to detail and engineering of their original product declined. As a further result, what was once a great product, began to loose it's appeal, as it just wasn't built as tough anymore, or if it was built the same, it was just that, built the same, with no improvement what so ever.

I think AC makes some great quads, and some great sleds. But, if you look at AC in general, what happened to their AC line of personnal watercraft? They no longer make it anymore. I'd hate to seem them shift emphasis from their already tough and powerful utility machines, to the faster, sportier department to compete with the other various machines such as the Raptors, the DS650's, EX's, Scramblers, etc. While the market may not be saturated with the sport machines yet, I tend to think there is enough of them out there. AC could get involved and produce their own lineup, which could then become considerable competition among the rest, but what would that do to the rest of the entire AC line of both sleds and quads?

I may get sh_t for this, but if you look at Honda, they used to be the very best for reliability. From what I see of the farmers, and how they use their Honda's out here in my area, it appears that with the huge growth Honda has had, it seems their attention to detail for the reliability is slipping. Is it really slipping, or are every other manufactorers out there just getting that much better? Look at the new Rubicon for example, with drum breaks still, what about selectable 2/4 wd? Granted, they definately engineered an impressive new tranny, but as for the rest of the machine, I personnally am not all that impressed-to the point of rushing out and selling my 'Cat to have one anyway.

While this forum is a very respectable place, and I'd also hate to loose that to the bickering and arguing about who's is faster, better, jumps higher, etc., I try to look at the addition of a sport quad to the AC line, as it would be seen compared to any other company out there. It can be seen across any manufactorer, or business for that matter. Even down to Hotels, Banks, Auto dealerships, etc. How many banks have you seen lately try to do something new, then become bought out some time down the road. What about Ernst, Eagle hardware (now Lowes), and so forth. Granted, these are all very different, or even extreme cases, but I'm just using them to exaggerate the point.

Most importantly, these are just my personnal opinions, take it for what it's worth.

Mike

Quick Reply: Is arctic Cat ever gonna make a sport quad?