Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rear diff. skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to making a replacement for my busted rear skid. Took a big piece of 1/8" steel and cut and bended it about a thousand times it seems.
Pretty much a basic design. It makes a zig zag down from the top bolt and then curves back underneath the drain bolt about a 1/4". I cut it off about an inch and 1/2 past the drain bolt. It is as wide as the entire differential except at the top bolt, where I cut and grinded it to taper off like the plastic one did. There are no sides on it, but thats not really important. It will just make it easier to get stuff out of there, although I guess sticks could lodge in there sideways a lot easier. If that ever becomes a problem, I can always weld on some sides. For lateral support, I welded a couple 2" wide kickers that come up from the base of the plate, and bolt into the existing factory holes on the back end of the tow hitch. Basically, the same holes that the plastic skid bolts into. I even was able to use the clips and bolts off of the factory skid plate.

All together, it looks pretty flush. It is extremely durable though. We had to heat it up with a cutting torch to even bend it. Probably put about 4 bends in it total. From the way it looks, you would think that I screwed up my ground clearance. It really looks low. I measured it though and at the lowest point, it is still 7.5" up with the stock 495 Titans on. That will go up close to 9" when I put the Claws back on this week.

I guess it looks low because you see the entire 5" wide plate down there rather than just the round differential. Either way, its still 7.5" at the lowest, and I'm not going to ever have to worry about knocking that plug loose again. Someday, I'll take a picture of it and put it up with my other shots. I need to get some more of them on there anyway.

Old 10-23-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of welding are you doing, Andy? Stick or Mig, or what? Would like some pics when you get time.

Old 10-23-2000, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Sounds like you did a nice job fabricating a new skid plate, would like to see some pics when you get a chance. Elk season starts on thusday, so I'll be hunting from then till the 5th. I'll try to get some pics posted myself of the trip when I return. I know there will be tons of mud up there, so I'll get a real opportunity to test out the 'Claws, but I'm also hoping that it snows a bit in the high country to see how they handle that as well.

Have your new rims showed up yet? Bet you'll be glad when they do, to get the 'Claws mounted once again. I'm still amazed at the clearance gains they give. I've got 10" at the rear diff, but I also do not have that drain plug that you have to deal with, so that helps a bit. That new skid plate should really help to keep that bolt from working loose. I would imagine that was a real problem in the past.?

Mike

Old 10-24-2000, 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not so much a problem as it was a worry. I only knocked it loose one time, but I bet I checked it 20 times since then. Its nothing fancy and surely nothing to look at and brag upon, but it will do the trick.

TxDoc- cut and bent it with an acetylane (spelling) torch. Welded the brackets with a regular old arc welder. I didn't do the welding or the cutting. My dad did it all. I basically just showed him what and where, and then did all the drilling and measurements. Of all the things that I have done, welding is not one of them.

Old 10-24-2000, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Why have you not responded in my "who wants what" post? It seems like a you would support the making of a steek/aluminumb skid plate from the aftermarket since you have made your own.

Also you are the one always talking about the 3wd of your cat. How about supporting the Aftermarket Locker.

There are also a few more things that you have complained/commented about in the past. How about saying something about it now?

It would realy help me help you and other Arctic Cat owner get these things.