Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions about Arctic Cat 500's

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 08:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How reliable is the 2wd/4wd selector. Would you get an auto or manual ? Please explain your reasoning. Thanks for any info.

Old 10-24-2000, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Foreman:
OK, stupid question here-what do you mean "how reliable" is the 2/4wd selector? It is a handle on the left hand side of my Auto, which is attached to a push rod, which engages or dis-engages the front diff. I shift-on-the-fly almost all the time when going from 2-4wd. Occassionally when stopped, the front end will kind of "lock", and it won't pull out very easily, but if you just roll forward or backward a bit, it pops right out.

As for the Auto/Manual decision, I would really have to say that's a personall preference. I don't think there is any advantages/disadvantages to owning either machine, both are great at what they do. It really comes down to whether or not you like to shift, or don't. I went with the Auto myself because of the ease of operation. I don't have to shift, which means I don't have to worry about which gear I'm in when going up hills, or through mud, etc. If you've used a manual for quite some time, you may prefer that setup.

As for working of each machine, some will argue that the gears are stronger, and that very well may be true, but myself, as well as many other auto owners out there use their machines for some pretty serious work, with no problems what so ever, so while you could argue the point, I don't think it would hold water very easily.

Basically, both are great machines, so it really comes down to which you prefer. If you are the only one who will ever operate the machine, and have driven manuals all your life, that may be what you'd want to stick with. However, if the machine will be used by other family members, or friends at picnics and such, with many operators, the auto may be better suited for you.

Sorry if that sounds like a "cop-out", but it really wouldn't be fair to say one is better than the other.

Mike

Old 10-24-2000, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My guess is that he is wondering how well it holds up, and if there are any downfalls. If he is like me, I always thought it was a weak design, and it looked rather flimsy. Seems like a stick could flip up there and bend the thin steel rod that goes to the differential. The thing that I didn't like about it most was that it sacrifices the side splash guards that came on the old full time 4x4 manuals. I would still like to have a 2wd option though, but the cost to change mine out wouldn't justify it.

Old 10-25-2000, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

ANDY, you hit the nail on the head. Today I went and rode a 500 manual shift at the local dealer. I liked the machine alot but I had some reservations about the selector lever. It does look like a weak link but I suppose it's every bit as good if not better than Polaris's electric magnet setup. Sorry I wasn't a little more specific in my initial post. I think I prefer to manually shift gears but the A.C. rocker shifter kind of threw me for a loop. I guess I could get use to it over time.( Seriously considering selling my Honda )

Old 10-25-2000, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I thought the same about the rocker shifter (so did a lot of people). It took two days, and it was second nature. I mis-shift the honda nowdays. If a rocker shifter did not suit you, its like $20 for a regular shifter to replace it. AC now sells that in their accessory catalog.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

i've had both,better gas mileage with the manual,you will loose some power with the auto because of the belt drive, just like a car tranny a 400 manual would out run my auto so it went down the road for a 500 manual.with the auto you have more between your legs because of the belt housing.if you ride double it is uncomfortable,but i do like them both!