Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Will your 500 pass the 3 wheel test?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are talking uneven terrain. not weight on all four tires. With weight on all four, then they should all four spin. With weight on just three, we are talking about the one in the air spinning while the one front on the ground does nothing. This is true in my case. The thing here is to find out if the newer AC's are any different. My vote says no, but thats a guess. Only real thing to back it up is that no magazines nor the manufacturer ever bragged about a new improved differential. It would seem to me that if they changed something that would make that big of a difference (which in this case it would), they would have something to say about it. Thats the question. The jack stand test is about the only good test to prove it.

It also needs to be jacked up solid, not to where it is easy and a slight tire jerk could pull it off the jacks. You won't find that situation in the woods often. The real test is the one planted tire pulling a 650lb. quad and a rider while the other is in the air.

Old 11-01-2000, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

I was planning on doing this test anyway, but after seeing this thread come up, I gave it a go last night.

As you can see below, I have a 2000 500 auto. It should have the same differential as the 2001's, but I don't know that for a fact.

Test was done on concrete driveway. Blocked both rear tires up by putting a single block under the hitch. Jacked the left front off the ground with a block under the A-arm. Tried test in both high and low range. When first given gas, front on ground would give a slight nudge, but that was it. The wheel in the air would just spin. The grounded wheel would produce barely noticable pulsations of pull. These pulses had a regular frequency to them, they gave the whole setup a slight vibration to it, but it was nowhere near enough to pull off the blocks. Also tried the break tapping, that did produce a short burst of power to the grounded wheel. 4 or 5 break taps probably would have got me off the blocks. Also, when I did the test, I was not on the quad but standing next to it.

So there's my results. I would be curious to know if a 2001 would be any different.

Old 11-01-2000, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

Thanx for the clarification Andy. As suggested, I blocked up the rear wheels and jacked up the front left at the A-arm. In both high and low range with or without a rider the front wheel in the air just spun. As mentioned already the grounded wheel slightly pulsated but definetly would not pull the quad off the blocks. I also tried the brake tapping affect. The grounded wheel did get traction but only managed to dig a hole in my gravel driveway, not pull the quad off the blocks. Not sure if done on a different surface if it would pull the unit off the blocks. May have to try again on a different surface. What kind of surface would you suggest?

Hope this helps all those in question. As noted below this was done on a 2001 500 auto.

shmoky

Old 11-01-2000, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

I am wondering how exactly are you guys do the brake taps. Do you grab the brake hard/easy and hold it? Or do you grab it and let off? Please clarify. Thanks

Old 11-02-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well most of the time when you are stuck all you have to do is grab the brakes hard for a bouta second and the grounded nonspining tire will bite and give u the momentum to get out of the rut u are in. Other times (like in pull offs)I set my parking brake, put her in low range, and let her rip.

Old 11-02-2000, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, Boner.

Old 11-04-2000, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

I tried the jack trick this week with my 2001 AC manual and have to admit. Three tires spin and I can hold the fourth with my hand. There is some pulsations felt, but I can hold the tire from spinning. I would have to say there is not any earth shattering new workings inside the differential on the 2001's. Sorry for the bad news. I do have to say, however, I have locked my 300 up solid with the linkage and it won't go anywhere my 500 won't go with more authority!

Old 11-04-2000, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I just tried this test with my 99 500. I found my results a little strange. With a block under my hitch and a jack under the right a-arm. I could do nothing in going forward. But in reverse with a couple of taps of the break it moved easily. So I decided to switch side of the front. With the jack under the left a-arm I could pull the bike off the stand in forward and reverse, while using the brake. Has anyone else exp, this.
matty

Old 11-04-2000, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum. I'm considering buying the new AC 500 4x4 w/ manual shift. This front diff issue is really important to me since I ride a lot of mud up here, sometimes towing a heavy trailer through the swamps and tundra.
The AC front diff sounds better than most, but who wants to spin holes before the 4th wheel finally grabs? Has anyone tried the manual locker trick with the modified linkage on this particular bike? I'd like to know for sure if it works and what may be the side effects (extra wear?)of doing this. Has anyone talked to a dealer who will offer real advice on this?

Old 11-04-2000, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The good thing about mud is that you can rock the quad side to side and get tires on the ground to get you out of stuff. That works until you frame it out, and then you are helpless no matter what front end you have.

All of my spinouts were on hills. Normally uneven hills or loose ones. In mud, I normally have to be framed out to get stuck. I don't ride a lot of mud though, so I'm not anyone to give advice on that subject. I do ride hills a lot, and a true 4wd system would be a lot more help.

Quick Reply: Will your 500 pass the 3 wheel test?