Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

Hi there, I have a 2003 ac 4x4, its a great bike except for the starting problems she has. Seems I always have one heck of a time getting her going. I mean by time I get it running for plowing the driveway I could of shoveled the driveway by hand faster! I even had some trouble back in the summer starting her, not near as much as I do in the winter though. Its getting me down big time, I just bought a 2002 polairs scrambler back in the summer and it starts better than my cat does. Once I get the bike going though she seems fine. I really dont want to take it to my local dealer, mainly because they are the only one in my area and they take forever fixing something. I read through the one form where the guy was getting absoutly nothing not even lights by turning his key and did get some great ideas to try for my problem. But I figured I would post anyway just incase some one has some other ideas.
Also does anyone know if the cd repair manuals you can buy on ebay are any good?
Thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

seems cats just start hard. as for the ebay cds, they are great. i got mine from ourkidzdad. highly recommended and the price can't be beat.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

SInce its an 03 have you changed the spark plug? Also, does it have a maual choke on it and is it working? My 05 has a primer on it that helps it get started.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

if it has a choke you should only need to choke it for about 5 seconds after it starts(not giving it any throttle at all). then slowly push the choke lever up all the way. thats all i ever do with mine and it fires right up. no hesitations,and it did a real nice plowing the driveway as well. maybe change the plug. oh, at negative temperatures i need to prime it. good luck

Old 12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

my fathers quad had old gas in it and we took the carb apart cause it wouldnt stay running and now it still wont run good when its cold. It runs bettter though but it stalls alot during starting.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I changed the spark plug last year and as for a manual choke all I know is my choke is on the left side where the handle bars never seen a primer anywhere near there! Or are you talking about a choke down where the pull start is?

Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish I only had to choke it for about 5 seconds! Wow that would be nice but no I have to keep the choke on for well I have never timed it but its longer than 5 seconds I can tell you and then even after I can keep it going I sometimes have to leave the choke on till she is really warmed up after riding for a bit!
Usually when I start her I have to pull the choke all the way back hit the iginition and depjress the throttle. I have yet to see her start without using the thorttle.
Ok where is the primer? Is it where the pull start is or am I missing something LOL.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the choke is on the left handle bar. the primer is down by the motor on the right hand side on the carb(silver lever). in negative temps i need to prime three times and everything runs good. what size engine is yours? i dont think the 300s have them but i ithink the 400 and i know the 500 does.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine is only a 250 4x4

Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

hmm... maybe i ended up getting a cheery.lol. my bike,2002 500i, has never had problems starting. ive never had to give it any throttle to get it going. the manual tells you not to. mine starts when its about 55-60 degrees and warmer without choking it. 40-55 dgrees i have to half choke it and under 40 i have to full choke for a few seconds or till it starts running rough. then when it starts running rough i slowly push the choke all the way up and leave it for about 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems