Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Looking to get an AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get an AC

Hey there, I am looking to get back into 4wheeling after years off. I am looking to get the 06 400 or 500 TRV. I got on one with the wife and it did not sqat at all (500 lbs). I have asked for info at the dealers for speeds but they dont seem to want to give that info. I have been to two of them and neither had said speeds. I have also looked at the (gasp) suzuki 700 for size and those dealers really put down the other quads. Any help with info on the AC TRV? I love the indepentant suspension. I also need to mention several herniated discs in the back so I need comfort.

Also have you noticed how the dealers bash the competition? Makes me sick. AC dealers did not put down the comp. or complain or whine when I said I was just looking. Way to go AC.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

The reason AC does not need to knock the competion , is they know the other brands dont have the features to really compete .
Honestly , feature for feature , dollar for dollar , nothing beats a Cat , just compare the features and specs to any other brand and you will see why the Cat dealers dont get nervous when you say you are going to look at other brands .....not to mention there 2 year warranty vs other brands 6 month .

The 4 & 500 TRV's are great machines , never heard a bad thing about them .
Have you checked out the new Prowler , its also a 2 seater , but sidexside instead of front and back , probably more comfortable and easier to have conversation while riding vs the TRV .
The prowler costs a little more $$$ but they sure look like they would be alot of fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

We bought our first TRV in 2002 - a 2003 green model. We were so impressed with it that we bought another one for friends and family to ride - thats a 2004. We had a honda - sold that, I use the camo Polaris 500 RSE for plowing becuase it sucks for hunting where we ride side hills and you have to fight the handlebars all the time. We sold the wifes quad (polaris Trail Boss) as she perfers to ride then drive. Given any quad sitting in the garage I usually take the TRV as it is a hugely different ride. I don't have the upper body strength due to some broken bones in my shoulder so how much straining I have to do is important and noticable. Trail riding is one handed on the TRV.

I like the TRV for all of the MRP options. I made my own rear MRP rack but the front rack plays a big role in how the accessories are purposed for different use. Check out my pictures.

Our 2003 and 2004 TRV's did not have the ride I wanted with all the gear I carry so I installed heavy duty springs from Highlifter. Its perfect now - no squating or rolling out of turns. You may see some squating if you ride the machine as the suspension doesnt push out and let the chassis down with it just sitting there.

Speed? About 50mph on the GPS. The machine is geared more for hauling two adults up a hill and not flat out speed. We take ours out to the Rockies in Montana - where it out performed all other machines there - and I take it hunting in southern MN where it out perfomed the other quads there also. Last weekend we had to put chains on one guys 500cc quad to go where the TRV was going with authority. The longer wheel base improves handeling, ride and traction with a better balance and distribution of weight.

My wife and I love riding the TRV together. Freinds find the machine easy to learn on and fun couple time together. We spend weekends on the Iron Range and we ride the lakes and roads around our town in the winter. Taking two people out for ice fishing on one quad is pretty nice. I can take the rear seat off and carry additional gear or a backpack tied to the pax back rest if going on a overnighter. We ride with other TRV owners and do a lot of couples camping/atv riding weekends. Summer and winter.

Personally I think the TRV is the best and most useful ATV design I've seen. The TBX would be next if I had no chance of putting a pax on the back. A guy can carry a lot of hunting equipment in that box.

The Arctic Cats have been bullet proof and durable. We rode one backwards standing on one side to keep the weight off the other side for 7 miles - dragging a front wheel. I had broke the tie-rod with a bad winch angle that caught a tire. (dont ask) We have over 1000 miles combined on the two TRVs and I wouldnt trade them for anything else.

And I have yet to hear from any TRV owner who felt like they didnt make the best decision for a multi rider quad.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Slimegreencat
.....Have you checked out the new Prowler , its also a 2 seater , but sidexside instead of front and back , probably more comfortable and easier to have conversation while riding vs the TRV . The prowler costs a little more $$$ but they sure look like they would be alot of fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Keep in mind that ATV regulations for nearly every state prohibit the side-by side machines on public trails. They do not meet the definition of a ATV and are classified as Off Road Vehicles simular to a jeep or a truck. Width and weight are the issues - mostly. Some states still define a ATV has having handlebars and stradled like a motorcycle

Old 12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Keep in mind that ATV regulations for nearly every state prohibit the side-by side machines on public trails. They do not meet the definition of a ATV and are classified as Off Road Vehicles simular to a jeep or a truck. Width and weight are the issues - mostly. Some states still define a ATV has having handlebars and stradled like a motorcycle
Thats true , I never thought of that .
Here in B.C Canada we dont have designated ATV trails , just miles and miles of old logging and mining roads , so really , width is not an issue , I like the prowler for it creature comforts , If I can swing it , I may pick one up this spring , being able to have someone along next to you and being able to carry more gear along with my dog in the back , and the option of a roof and windshield for bad weather makes it a very appealing vehicle , although , I would still keep my regular Cat for the tight trails that I like so much ....

Old 12-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Slimegreencat

.... I like the prowler for it creature comforts , If I can swing it , I may pick one up this spring , being able to have someone along next to you and being able to carry more gear along with my dog in the back , and the option of a roof and windshield for bad weather makes it a very appealing vehicle , although , I would still keep my regular Cat for the tight trails that I like so much ....
But the vehicle and accessories being described is likely best provided by another manufacturer - Jeep. A used jeep is about the same price and size and you can drive your OHV Jeep to those trails on the highway. Why people will spend $10,000 on a wanna-be-jeep with a 2 cylinder snowmobile engine eludes me when that will buy a 2000+ year real jeep with a 6cyl engine that has 50K+ miles left in it. Lets see that Prowler do 50,000 miles.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

[i]

But the vehicle and accessories being described is likely best provided by another manufacturer - Jeep. A used jeep is about the same price and size and you can drive your OHV Jeep to those trails on the highway. Why people will spend $10,000 on a wanna-be-jeep with a 2 cylinder snowmobile engine eludes me when that will buy a 2000+ year real jeep with a 6cyl engine that has 50K+ miles left in it. Lets see that Prowler do 50,000 miles.
Bin there done that , I did all my off roading in trucks (Toyotas) before I bought a quad .
Traveling long distances on a old eroded washboard roads was like torture , especially in a Jeep with its short wheelbase , it really took the fun out of exploring the back country .
On my quad , I can travel at 30 to 40mph on those same roads and hardly notice the bumps, I assume a Prowler would be just as nice .
Another reason would be , that there are alot less things on a Prowler to go wrong than on a Jeep that could leave you stranded in the bush , especially a used one , and the Jeep would not have a 3 year warranty .

I dont think a Jeep would be as capable off road as a Prowler or Rhino type vehicle either , nor would it fit on some of the tighter trails .

I see what your saying to a point , they are a little pricey , but if you can afford one , Why not ?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I stopped at the local AC dealer today and spent about 2 hrs there talking quads. He is going to give me a heck of a deal on the 06 500 and 500TRV, my choice. I am still leaning towards the TRV. The reg. 500 could be in auto or 5 speed.

My question to you all now is what do you prefer auto or manual. I really dont mind shifting as I like having more control of power in low end. I am going to be using the AC for several food plots and clearing trees and brush. Also I will be doing some serious trail riding.

I have read some of the other posts on auto over manual but they did not really seem to help. thanks for the help.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

It really doesn't matter if you want auto or manual shift tranny. What works for you is OK but I prefer the shifter myself. Control over engine RPM is great. Especially when you're going down hill or just need to control your speed during trail riding. Good luck with your new AC.
Chuck

Old 12-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Autos work just fine. They relieve the driver of another task and the argument of which is better is only a exercise in contumacy. I prefer not having to manage the shifting and when I ride with manual quads they are always stoping to down shift, or missing a shift, or brakeing off the shifter lever. It is rare that you see someone with a auto go back to a manual shift quad. There is a place for manual shift - mostly in towing or hard pulling of stumps or for competitive performance. I can fill a staduim with former manual shift owners who think the autos are the best things since rubber tires. In 5 years of autos I have burned up two belts. One after going through the ice and another when my stupid nephew sat on top a pile of logs and smoked the belt to high heaven. We ride 2up in the mountains, and steep steep hills in forests when hunting carriering hundreds of pounds of gear. No problems, no worries and no work. But what is right for some people might be wrong for others. Choose wisely as its hard to convert....lol

Forgot to mention snow plowing. I plow a lot of snow. Often a day or more before the township trucks come by. No worries and less hassle with the auto. between the 4 of us with ATV's and plows we clear out a couple dozen or more driveways and clear likely a mile or more of dirt road.